Saturday, November 25, 2006

The Trial I Didn’t Get To See

This week in For Better or For Worse, I faced the prospect of having a the plotline I have been waiting to unfold for more than year turn into a “Tell and Don’t Show” plotline, where Elly and Elizabeth wax philosophically about the Canadian Justice System and rapists, while the real action is taking place in the courtroom with Anthony’s testimony. eeknight posts as Anthony, and I really would like him to rip Anthony a new one in the way that only eeknight can. However, I couldn’t just sit for days without having Howard make some comment about the Anthony testimony, since that is where he is supposed to be. My anonymous legal poster to the Howard Bunt Blog pointed me to a lovely website, where among other things it included the procedure for swearing someone in. So I opted to take that particular statement and treat it in the eeknight / Rex Kwan Do / Anthony style. The quotes are taken pretty much verbatim from the Rex Kwan Do dialogue, so I hope eeknight approves of this handling of his character. This leaves the whole actual testimony in the hands of eeknight, should he choose to write it.

As for Thanksgiving, I had my sister and her family (husband, 2 kids), mom, dad, step-mom, step-dad, step-brother, and my wife’s mother over for Thanksgiving. It was our first time to host it and my wife informed me that one of my main jobs was to stay out of the kitchen. So, I ran about, taking people places, and cleaning up dishes. The dishwasher decided to go belly-up during the course of the festivities, so there was a lot more dishwashing than I had hoped. All things went fairly well. It did mean a minimal response to April’s Real Blog, only during the course of the late evenings, but I suppose it was better than last year, when I wasn’t there at all.

Next week should be the conclusion of the Howard Bunt trial. Hopefully, we will get to see why it is that Anthony is taking so long in the courtroom, and the ultimate verdict. Judging from this week, we may only see Elly and Elizabeth talking about it. Lynn Johnston apparently has realized she knows next to nothing about the Canadian Justice System, and is taking the safer way out by just not showing it at all. Considering Elly has likened Howard to a rat trying to escape from a trap, I have a feeling Howard is going to get some serious prison time.

4 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

This show-not-tell stuff is making me very, very grumpy. I want to SEE Anthony's testimony--especially the cross-examination. I want him to have to explain letting Howard go, then taking Liz to the PARK to dump his marital woes to her under a friggin' TREE! But you knew that. :)

5:40 AM  
Blogger howard said...

There have been some very good imaginary cross-examinations in the FOOBiverse's Journal. A lot of them take Anthony to task, and point out that given his history with Elizabeth, his assault of Howard could have been motivated by a lot of different things than just wanting to protect her. I have enjoyed those.

However, the Lynn Johnston version would be so snarkworthy. The assault from Anthony's perspective written by Lynn trying to make him look humble and proud at the same time would have been so great. If Lynn doesn't show it, she has scripted by what could have been a landmark strip of Anthony expressing his feelings for Liz before open court. It could have been so wonderful. But I don't think we'll get to see it.

It will be just Anthony coming out and saying, "I really think I got Howard." Then a few strips about how wonderful Anthony is by Elly and Liz. Then the verdict. Howard in prison for a bazillion years. Then more strips talking about how the justice system works, even though it is slow and how nice the world is that Howard will not be in it anymore.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Zandra Larson said...

What do you want to bet that we'll never see the end of this story until Liz writes something in a monthly letter months from now? (something on the lines of "Thank goodness that that rat Howard is serving hard time in the prison camp in Toronto.") Next week we'll probably go back to hijinks with the band, or the animals, or anything else that isn't the trial.

9:39 AM  
Blogger howard said...

What do you want to bet that we'll never see the end of this story until Liz writes something in a monthly letter months from now?
I would be surprised about that. The Saturday strip did not have an "end of the story" kind of feel to it. Elizabeth is waiting with Elly for Anthony to return, and the post trial celebration of Elizabeth and Anthony over Howard's incarceration is loaded with possibilities for leading their relationship to the next step. However, if Lynn did as you suggest with the monthly letter, I think I would utter some profanities in the direction of Corbeil that you might be able to overhear.

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home