Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Talking Wife

Today's strip I could kind of relate to. Whenever my wife and I have some disaster with the kids, like we get woken up in the middle of the night by a child who says, "I don't feel good." and then vomits, it does wake a body up, where it might be difficult to go back to sleep. My wife has been know to get in the mood for pillow talk after we have cleaned up on such occasions. Of course she is not likely to talk about the temperature of places where we used to live. Most likely, the conversation would have to do with the recently ill child. But we have long established that neither Mike or Dee is interested in being a parent, so this is not too far from the way they have been portrayed to date.

I took the time to read over all the Mike-related posts from the time I was gone to try to figure out what to do with his recent activities, and in order to help the_berserker drive whatever story she has in mind for Mike and Duncan. I liked the result.

Tomorrow's strip: Another opportunity to insult Melville Kelpfroth, who this time is portrayed as a buffoon running about smoking and drinking and in his underwear. Unfortunately for Mike, Melville has a legitimate complaint.

4 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Melville's not a beautiful Patterson, so his complaints are automatically rejected. ;)

3:31 PM  
Blogger howard said...

That is certainly true. I have been reading this strip long enough to recognize this theme. I wonder how the casual viewer of the strip would take it. After all the whole joke of the strip is based on the idea that Melville is the eyesore. Is it still politically correct to make fun of ugly people?

On the other hand, I am grateful they have gotten away from the one note joke of Melville's pounding on the ceiling. They seem to be seeking new ways to make Melville obnoxious and repulsive.

The funny thing is, as I was reading through all the FBoFW commentaries today, which made the same remark about not wanting to see their neighbours in their underwear, most of the comments also remarked about how they agreed with Melville's opinion and not Mike's. The kiddy pool should be in the back yard. I find it quite amusing that the harder Lynn tries to paint the villain black, the black keeps getting on the hero.

4:12 PM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

I agree about the Lynnions unwittingly making Melville more sympathetic. This I guess is a corollary to their failed attempts to make us like Mike. They only succeed in making him more loathsome. Same goes for Anthony's attempted rehabilitation.

6:51 PM  
Blogger howard said...

Anothony's most loathsome characteristics of wooing, marrying, and impregnating Therese, while still carrying a torch for Liz and his emotional assault of Liz after Howard's physical assault are things that are not even mentioned in the Anthony bio on the website. That is pretty telling. Because you would expect them to praise Anthony for rescuing Liz. I consider it a pretty good sign that even in Corbeil they realize how badly that story came across.

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home