Wednesday, July 12, 2006

When Air Conditioners Attack

So night problem number 1 is the fan, night problem number 2 is the air conditioner, and night problem number 3 is a chatty wife. Will Mike ever get any sleep? Will Mike learn to sleep on top of the blankets? It seems unlikely. The real question is, as it usually is for us on April’s Real Blog when Lynn takes a particular humourous situation and beats the living daylights out of it, what can we snarkers do with yet another day of “I can’t get to sleep” humour? Moreover, what will we do when this becomes the joke for the entire week?

Fortunately, Howard and Jeremy are on tour, so I can continue to use Canadian entertainment locations and festivals to drive that story. qnjones responded quite nicely with a Marjee and Becky catfight, which I enjoyed reading and it spurred me to do some research on female Viking warriors, which I limited to the Icelandic sagas, since Thorvald seems to favour those as reference material. Also, eye-gouging of all things. I could find no references to fights between Viking sisters, which doesn’t mean there weren’t any, but I just couldn’t find them.

Constable Paul Wright made a statement with respect to temperature and www.weather.com was checked for close by Thunder Bay, Ontario, which has highs in the 60s F and lows in the 50s F. From this I interpreted that heat waves are uncommon in that area of Ontario. I am not really sure where Paul Wright is. He has been figured at 17 hours drive from Toronto by Mike Patterson’s July monthly letter. www.mapblast.com tells me that the distance from Armstrong (a town approximately where Mtigwaki would be) and Toronto would take 20 hours to cover, and the travel time from Thunder Bay is about 17 hours. This would put Paul still in Otter County, since Spruce Narrows has been described as being much closer to Mtigwaki than a 3 hour drive. However, it would also mean that Elly got tired on her trip back last year after just 3 hours, which I guess is possible, considering Elly. It is difficult to say, since I cannot trust the Lynnions to be even remotely accurate when it comes to geography. Unless it is stated specifically in a strip or a monthly letter, I am going to presume Paul is still in Otter County, based on this information.

the_berserker has started having Duncan threaten Mike Patterson for getting near his girlfriend. My initial guess was that Duncan saw Mike Patterson at the rehearsal for his play, where Zandra is acting as Charles Wallace’s agent, but I have been intentionally avoiding those kinds of confrontations, so Mike can be completely surprised by the way the play has been rewritten by Zandra and Charles on the opening night of its performance. This evening, the_berserker mentioned the Milborough Public Library being the place where he saw Mike with Zandra, but I am still confused about why Mike would be at a public library in Milborough and why Duncan would feel any jealousy toward married Mike. A normal adult would probably speak to Duncan’s parents, and passive Mike would probably write a column about the situation except, the parents in question are family friends of the Pattersons. I am guessing Mike will have a conversation with his mother about Duncan. How I am going to make it funny, I have no idea. In any case, the insults from Duncan calling Mike a poor writer and a user of p)rn pretty much eliminate any possibility of further conversation between the characters. Mike wilts in the face of any adversity in the strip and to be true to his character, that is what he would do here also.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Zandra and Duncan have a summer job in the public library. Zandra posted to ARB saying that Mike had come into the library and handed her a copy of his novel-in-progress, seeking a "woman's perspective." Duncan's not happy about this development. :)

4:19 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Ah. Now I understand, sort of. Thanks for the explanation.

I have a hard time imagining anyone feeling threatened by married, effeminate Mike, but the_berserker's version of Duncan seems to have a problem with most authority figures, so maybe that's it. I think I need to reread the ARB over the time I was on vacation to get my Mike details straight.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home