Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Suddenly Susan

A strange turn of events today in the strip—Susan Dokis arrives out of nowhere. And what’s more, she pops up in the Who’s Who Section of the For Better or For Worse website. That’s serious business. I had thought Liz was going to head out of Mtigwaki only to return briefly to live up to her promise to say howdy to Jesse Mukwa. The tendency with the Who’s Who Section is to only feature persons who are going to be or have been recurring characters. It took forever for Eva Abuya to get her spot, and Howard never has. Susan showed up for 3 strips in March and now ::boom:: she’s in. There are people who have speculated that she is being set up to allow Constable Paul Wright to have a romantic out, when Liz dumps his butt for Anthony Caine, and I cannot help but think, that her appearance on the Who’s Who Section, could lend some credence to that idea. More likely though, when she goes back to visit Jesse, he has to say “Susan has agreed to be my mother.” And then Susan will make an appearance to show she has made the ultimate sacrifice for Jesse and finally solved his separation anxiety issues. Then Liz can say, “Thanks to me, Jesse has a mom.” I don’t know. However, it seems unlikely to me that there are enough strips this week to get in all that Liz love required at the Liz love feast, so this story will probably run to next week. That way Liz can finish telling Susan her advice that isn’t advice.

qnjones showed up in the Meta to explain why it is that she has been doing very little posting in April’s Real Blog over the last month. April’s Real Blog has gotten to the point with the number of participants where the character assignments are fairly meaningless. Sometimes switching characters can be interesting. Howard is my main guy, and I still get tickled that people refer to me as Howard on these FBoFW commentaries. I will have to admit that I have had more fun lately posting as two unassigned but regularly adopted characters of Shannon Lake and Michael Patterson. So, for the persons who post on April’s Real Blog, who read this nonsense I write over here, I want you to know that if you have a desire to write as any of the characters currently assigned to me, I will be glad to let you have them to do anything you want to do with them. That includes Howard, too. Just let me know that you’re interested, so I don’t step on your toes with a post of my own.

1 Comments:

Blogger howard said...

qnjones,

I'm surprised I haven't mentioned the Asperger's Syndrome before. It's not something I am shy about mentioning. Oh well. My son is a better artist than I was at his age. I'm glad you liked the Valentine's.

I do not know the details of my grandparents raising my uncle. My father had told me that by the time he met my uncle, he was fully grown and my grandfather was very frustrated with him, because he would not do what he told him to do. There may have been some discipline when he was younger, but I do not know how harsh it was. My grandfather was a very gentle man, and usually when he got upset with something, he would get up and leave until he calmed down. My grandmother did not believe in corporal punishment.

My mother has told me that when she was younger, she would defend her brother (my uncle) against kids who picked on him. She has fond memories of the boy she grew up playing with, and she was sad when he got older and his behaviour made it difficult for her to enjoy any time she spent with him. My mother tells me that my grandmother thought that the best solution for someone without social skills was to put him in as many social situations as possible, in order for him to get the experience he needed. These attempts all failed, but that was the best my grandmother knew how to do at the time.

I hope you are right about my son, but I don't know. Sometimes at my own work, I have a difficult time getting along with people, and I have no idea how my son could survive in a normal workplace environment. My next big worry though, is that he is about to enter the age where he will hit puberty. I do not expect it will be fun to add hormones to the mix.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home