Sunday, June 25, 2006

Back from the Pride March

I love the way the_berserker as Duncan filled in where Howard probably was this weekend, since I was not here this weekend. Thanks the_berserker. I see that aprilp_katje as Marjee Mahaha has set up Howard with someone, so I look forward to writing that one up. I see that Constable Paul Wright has still not let me know where he currently lives. However, I see that his romance with Susan Dokis is on hold until September, at least as far as his visiting her in Mtigwaki goes.

This weekend for me was spent in Glendale, Arizona with my wife, kids and mother-in-law. I discovered that spray-on sunscreen is not as good as rub-on sunscreen. The kids and I got nicely burned in Glendale's 120 degree Fahrenheit weather. I went with the kids to see Nacho Libre. Thumbs down for me, although Jack Black has a couple of funny songs in the movie. With the mother-in-law as babysitter, the Mrs. and I also saw An Inconvenient Truth, which is basically a filmed version of a slideshow presentation Al Gore does on global warming and not that much of a documentary. It was a pretty powerful message, but it could have been improved by (a) leaving out the recap of the 2000 presidential election which seemed inappropriate for the message and (b) including some hard evidence that carbon dioxide does actually prevent heat from the sun from leaving our atmosphere. How hard could it be to expose carbon dioxide to solar energy and measure the temperature dissipation? As it was, he has a nice chart showing the trend of carbon dioxide air content matches earth's increase in temperature over thousands of years, and drew the conclusion that one caused the other. But I have looked over enough environmental data in my life to know that observable trends do not make a conclusion. Sometimes, they just point you in the direction of a conclusion. I still recommend seeing it, because there is some good information there.

There was a person in the audience who loudly heckled Al Gore throughout the picture and the other audience members eventually shushed him out. I have never seen a movie with a heckler before (and Rocky Horror Picture Show does not count). Also, the average age of the audience was quite old, and it was very amusing to hear the old people throughout the picture trying to inspire each other not to fall asleep, in voices attached to bodies that were obviously hard-of-hearing. I leaned over to the Mrs. and said, "Our future." She agreed.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Welcome back! I look forward to hearing about Howard's new beau! :)

4:18 AM  
Blogger howard said...

It's good to be back. Howard's story coming right up.

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home