Friday, July 28, 2006

Here's Anthony!

Faster than I expected, Anthony shows up. In tomorrow's strip, he immediately launches into a "I just got divorced. I'm a great guy because I am a single parent. Please forgive me for that whole marriage thing" speech. And as expected, Liz gives him an out. She doesn't say one word about her relationship with Paul, but actually even tells him that he is still one of her favourites. The leaves the door wide open for Anthony to make his next moves. Even if the next words out of Liz's mouth are "I have a great boyfriend", she has told Anthony that he is one of her favourite friends. And who could possibly refuse a request from one of your favourite friends to, say, "Have a picnic with me and my daughter" or "Let me give you a ride somewhere." Then Liz slowly falls back in love with Anthony, gets betrayed by Paul,... yada, yada, yada..., gets married next September.

Anthony appears so pathetic, if Liz marries him, it will literarily be a "pity" marriage. The upside is that Lynn appears to be having Liz realize how pitiful he is. This may lead some to believe that there is still hope for Liz and Paul. What is really means is that there will a short period of time where Liz has to be convinced to marry Anthony. I liked all the unspoken subtext of today's strip dialogue, but if that is Anthony's idea of wooing a girl, we are in for a long, painful and awkward romance. I am not looking forward to that.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

I liked all the unspoken subtext of today's strip dialogue, but if that is Anthony's idea of wooing a girl, we are in for a long, painful and awkward romance. I am not looking forward to that.

Ugh, me neither. And I agree that Liz has opened a door that Anthony will stick his foot into. (Into which Anthony will stick his foot. ;) ) I've got to take some pre-emptive painkillers now.

4:42 AM  
Blogger howard said...

I suspect we are supposed to be charmed by Anthony's awkwardness and then later on we are supposed to be delighted when Liz accepts him despite his awkwardness. The underlying message I got was that Liz is still in love with Anthony, but it is going to take her awhile to realize / confess it.

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home