Monday, May 01, 2006

Paul is Doomed

As of tomorrow’s strip, we have the first appearance of Liz homesick since her pre-Shiimsa days. Over January, she made a big deal about how Milborough was no longer her home, but left a lot of ambiguity as to what her plans were. The Lynnions have been sewing the seeds of her discontent in the monthly letters, but not in the strip. And as you know, if it is not in the strip, there is no guarantee it counts.

There's a chance that I'll be able to teach summer school in Mississauga - which is a surprise - and through one of my profs at university, I have a lead on a job in Markham. To score a real job down South would be amazing. I admit, I do think about it a lot.
This statement in the monthly letter pretty much spells it out. Liz will visit Milborough, but will work or commute to Mississauga and then becoming enamored of the area, take a permanent job in Markham. In this fashion she is fulfilling her declaration that Milborough is not her home, but she is still close enough to visit Elly and John.

I'm not looking forward to being separated from Paul for the summer, but I'm going to look into getting a car so I can cover the distance between us.
This makes it sound like she plans to visit Paul after she gets a car.

I'm hoping he'll come and visit me, too. I want him to meet my friends and family. They keep hearing about him and it's getting so that photos aren't enough.
I hope Paul gets to do this also. I have been looking forward to an Anthony / Paul meeting, but I suspect that Paul is going to get the worst of it, if it happens. Most likely, Paul will not visit and be compared to Warren. However, if Paul is willing to travel to Mtigwaki to deliver glasses, he should be willing to make the trip to Milborough.

I know I'll be escaping to see Paul somehow. It's a long drive, but we can meet half way. We haven't worked it all out yet, and to tell you the truth - I just don't want to think about it!
These lines imply Paul has some say in it, but then revert to an “I’m not going to plan it” statement.

The problem is that, thanks to Gary Crane’s statement about not depending on Liz and the appearance of her replacement Susan, we know she is not coming back to Mtigwaki. She seems to be completely unconcerned about Paul’s reaction to her possibly getting the job in Markham. She seems unconcerned that as he is trying to move closer to her, she is trying to move farther away. In fact, far enough away so it will be quite difficult for him to see her on any regular basis. This disdain for Paul, with “I hope he’ll come and visit me” and “I just don’t want to think about” when I am going to see him over the summer, bugs me. How is Lynn going to make Liz do this, without looking like she is intentionally running away from a guy who has been portrayed as giving her everything she has asked for, and not received from other guys? How does she make Liz look like she is not a complete idiot.

It’s a mystery to me.

2 Comments:

Blogger howard said...

I now think that was a remarkably prescient statement. It would be prescient, except Lynn has a habit of broadcasting her theme early on. For example, we already know how the Becky and April situation is going to end up, because John Patterson made the statement about how Becky wouldn't know if her friends liked her or what she was. So, we know that when the worm turns on cheating in her school work, those nerdy girls are going to abandon Becky and leave April as the only one to support the humbled Becky. Just like I knew it was going to be Anthony, when Elly compared Anthony to John on her first road trip with Liz to Mtigwaki. Lynn is as subtle as a brick to the head when it comes to that kind of stuff.

I don't think they will Anglicize Francoise, since it is important to show her ethnic heritage and how she is going to be redeemed by the love of a good Patterson. But it would be funny if they did. After all Gerald's last name got changed.

11:30 PM  
Blogger howard said...

Anglicized nickname. I agree with you there. Absolutely. Frannie, or Fran or Fr or Lizmymom.

Liz doesn't formally break up with Paul until Anthony proposes. I can see this too. "Oh. Anthony. We can go out, but it can't be a formal date because I am loyal to Paul. We can kiss, but it can't be a formal kiss, because I am loyal to Paul, whom I have in fact never been shown to kiss in this strip." That is possible, unless Paul is shown to be disloyal to Liz (as was done to previously good guy Warren, and Rhetta Blum to Mike).

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home