Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Eva Does Yet Another Cowboy Analogy

I see that tomorrow Eva is going to riff on guns=cell phones. So, I guess my fear that the entire week is going to be taken up by Eva the Analogist is coming to pass. Mercy, Lynn, Mercy. I will admit there are lower forms of humour than puns, if you will quit demonstrating to us what those lower forms are.

On the other hand, I enjoyed riffing on Eva’s cowboy lines all day long and I can see some Eva hate on guys with cell phones spicing up tomorrow’s posts. Constable Paul Wright tried a little righteous indignation on the cowboy reference and qnjones as Gerald correctly picked up on my hint that the good constable is fraught with all the worst Hollywood Indian stereotypes. qnjones also riffed on Eva’s strap-on line from yesterday and set up Howard to give Eva a lecture on strap-ons that aprilp_katje carried through nicely.

I am not certain what Lynn has in mind with this sequence of strips involving Eva. I have seen enough strips to know now to include the word “man” in her conversation. Is Lynn trying to make Eva appear funny, or just with a healthy dose of man hatred, that refers way back to the Elly monthly letter that showed Eva’s fear of commitment to Duncan. I am not sure what it is, but the more Eva talks, the more I don’t like her.

6 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Yup, I have a feeling we're supposed to think Eva is sassy and maybe even worldly, but she's just not coming off well in this sequence. Shut up, Eva! All men are not cowboys. Cars are not horses. Cell phones are not guns. Now, go practice some music already!

4:55 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Since the focus is men for all of these analogies, I suppose this could be April finally finding that person to talk about guys, like she used to do with Becky. The only difference was that Becky liked guys. Now that I think about it, April used to complain about Becky liking guys too much, so Eva's anti-guy sentiments may be in response to that.

5:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or maybe Eva is supposed to be the new Candace--you know, abused by men and wary. Did you notice that Eva and April started out this conversation on the front steps, just like Jesse and Liz started out with the Fishhead/Coffee cake lines? I guess we can be glad Jesse and Liz didn't talk about playing cowboy with strap ons.

8:05 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Eva to April as Candace was to Liz does make sense, particularly since Eva is clearly being set up to be the girlfriend for Duncan, so April can have a couple friendship. The same thing happened with Liz to Candace and Rudy. I did not make the Jesse and Liz connection for conversation starting. Good catch on that comparison, and I am definitely glad Jesse went with coffee cake/fishheads than cowboy strap-ons.

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure could have been a lot more interesting, though! By the way, I love to read your stuff on April's Blog and FOOB Universe. Your stuff is a hoot to read. I sure do miss the comments you could get going on when Paul and Liz were more of a sure item than this strange will she/won't she thing situation that LJ has going on now with Liz.

1:54 PM  
Blogger howard said...

debjyn,

Thanks for compliments on my writing. I also miss the comments I had going when it looked like Paul and Liz were going to be a love story. My hope had been that we could tell a story in April's Real Blog that would fill in the cracks of the love story LJ was trying to tell. However, operating within the constraints of matching LJ's story does provide its own challenges particularly when she strays into the nonsensical, as she is doing this week.

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home