Friday, May 05, 2006

A Change in Philosophy

This week in April’s Real Blog, I realized I needed a change in philosophy. When I first started doing this thing, back last August, I decided to drop in a line as Howard to see what the reaction would be, and there was an immediate reaction from the Blog posters. I remember the sense of excitement, because it was the first time I had ever tried posting to a Blog before. I was surprised that my comment would appear with the correct name I had written almost instantaneously and other people would see it and write something back to me. Initially I played Howard as ignorant and used him to snark For Better or For Worse by saying, “I saw this strange thing. Can someone tell me what it means?” And within a matter of minutes someone else would explain it.

aprilp_katje went to work this week, and I can tell when she gets home from her job and not seeing her husband and child all day, she wants to spend time with them and not necessarily writing long fan fiction stories about a comic strip. It is pretty much what I expected would happen when she announced she had taken a job. I have kids and I work, so I completely understand why things have happened the way they happened.

What it means for me is that there is now no longer anyone to react to what I write until late in the day. So, a change in philosophy is in order. April’s Real Blog, will for me, turn into something that looks more like a regular Blog, than a forum for discussion or a place where little snarky fanfics are written. In this fashion, I can write a reaction to the Blog entry as a character, whose reaction is related solely to the Blog entry, and I don’t have to worry about trying to maintain a real-time accurate story.

Tomorrow’s strip: Lynn does it to us again. She leads right up to the major decision point in Liz’s life and then doesn’t show it to us. I think the intent was to build suspense as whether or not Liz was going to stay or leave Mtigwaki, just like we have been left hanging about what really happened between Liz and Anthony last summer, when he asked Liz to wait for him. This is one area in which the monthly letters do the strip a disservice, because we already know Liz is going to Markham to teach. So, the only suspense is how Liz is going to break the news to Constable Paul Wright.

4 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Well, I think we can get a taste of the old ARB on weekends, at least. :)

4:36 AM  
Blogger howard said...

With respect to your ability to monitor things more closely, that is certainly correct. I had completely forgotten about the engagement party and the premise you have laid out is pretty interesting with ex-boyfriends being there. (Worship the continuity goddess!)

Family activities today may prevent me from doing real-time posting, so you might have to take the lead on it and I can fill in later after my kids go to bed. I hope qnjones is back from her trip to join in on the fun.

5:37 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

I, too, hope that qnjones will be back for the festivities. No worries about the real-time issue. :)

7:54 AM  
Blogger howard said...

All righty then. I like the party idea. It is giving me something to write, when today's strip is especially dull and I thought I would be doing porcupine jokes all day long.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home