Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy 2006 and a Simulposting New Years

I actually had a pretty good New Years. The kids stayed up and were pretty cute with the countdown to midnight, and we blew noisemakers and tossed balloons in the air for as long as we could stand it. I had to browbeat my wife into getting the traditional New Year Eve kiss. She hates kissing, but I had the holiday to leverage off of to get one. 15 minutes of nagging, but I got my smooch at 12:15 am and the kids went "Ewww!!" Hotcha!

Prior to midnight, my boy was doing things like sticking his hand in his pants pocket and saying, "This is the last time I will put my hand in my pants pocket for 2005." Then of course he did the same thing for after 2006, "This is the first time I will put my hand in my pants pocket for 2006." He did this for a number of activities, which drove his mother to distraction, but I thought it was fairly sophisticated humour for a 10-year-old. Yes, I am warping my son. Beware!

After they got into bed, I decided to hit the old ARB and finish off any storylines left hanging from the previous year. I did a Jeremy Jones one and then, having found the Howard story had been untouched, wrote up an ending. I was in the process of thinking about writing a year in review for Howard for this Blog, when I noticed that qnjones said we had simultaneously posted. The 2 stories initially appeared to be pretty impossible to reconcile.

However, they did have some simularities, though, so I posted Howard's version as a "cleaned up" version of Becky story. The way this would work then is:

1. Howard is at his apartment making food for Candace Halloran and Rudy Dodd. Becky's aunt Arlene is drinking all of Howard's alcohol. This is where we start.
2. Becky's version has Candace inviting over her aunt, who is instantly there. It has to be instantly in a humorous fashion, since Candace's aunt lived in university town where Candace, Rudy, and Liz went to university, so she is not actually anywhere close to Milborough. Howard's version leaves this out. There was no real reason to deal with this, because Candace's aunt has no real effect on the outcome of the story. She seems to be there just for reaction.
3. Becky's version has aunt Arlene clubbing Rudy with a wine bottle and then attempting an overdose with laxatives. Howard's version is somewhat close here, insomuch as Arlene gets sick and vomits and has to leave.
4. Becky's version has Rudy in hospital and police involvement. Howard's version does not have this, but does have Rudy and Candace being separated from Becky and Howard, so the ultimate outcome is the same.

So, the outcome of the story is essentially the same between the 2 versions:
1. Rudy and Candace leave, and are not with Howard and Becky.
2. Becky's aunt Arlene gets sick.

Just going from the outcome, the 2 stories could be reconciled. Howard admits to being a big, fat liar. Thank goodness, it wasn't a simultaneous post on a Jeremy story, whom I always try to portray as being scrupulously honest. The reconciliation would never have worked. Ah, the writing challenges the ARB poses.

Tomorrow, John gets a hug for taking folding instructions from a kinder, gentler Elly. Kinder and gentler because I remember she was not so gracious when trying to instruct him on loading a dishwasher not too long ago. I do the laundry in my house and I was actually getting a little jealous of John getting his hug. Maybe some more browbeating is in order for my next load of towels.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Your towel folding is exquisite!

::HUG::

7:08 AM  
Blogger howard said...

I have actually received a towel-folding lecture, but for only one set of hand towels that have a butterfly pattern in them. My wife wanted a sort of tri-fold when they were hung on the rack so the butterfly pattern would be exposed. She doesn't care how they are folded going in the linen closet as they are just going to get unfolded in order to be placed on a towel rack. Thanks for the smooch and hug.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home