Friday, October 05, 2007

April and Liz Live!

The Grandpa Jim stroke #2 saga of For Better or For Worse continues as Lynn Johnston appears to have gone through her Coffee Talk comments and noted criticisms she considers to be legitimate and has started addressing them. In this instance, Elizabeth Patterson is taken to task for giving away Grandpa Jim’s harmonica to Jesse Mukwa after she discovered from his Aunt Margaret that he had stolen it from her from back in January. This strip will stretch the resources of her readers to remember back in 2004 when April gave Liz that harmonica and back in January, 2007 when Liz “gave" the harmonica to Jesse.

The whole “revisit Mtigwaki” sequence back in January was very poorly done, with several plot points which made so little sense, most of the fans were scratching their heads trying to understand it. It was snark heaven for the rest of us. Certainly one of the worst parts was the treatment of Jesse Mukwa, who proved how much he liked Liz the teacher that he stole from her. Lynn Johnston was trying to show how well Liz had done with Jesse that he admired her enough to want a keepsake from her. What she ended up doing was showing that Liz had failed to pass onto Jesse even one of her majour beliefs. I wonder how many of those issues Lynn Johnston will revisit before the end.

7 Comments:

Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

What bothers me, to put it mildly, is Liz's reaction to April's outrage. I know that Lynn's apologists will blather on about the meed to pull together for Jim's sake but it looks to these eyes like Picky-Face Redux. It also openly contradicts the February retcon wherein April said this was already handled.

1:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I saw the look on Lizard's face in the final panel, I actually unconsciously clenched my hand into a fist. My God, Lynn -- what a horrible person you've turned her into.

7:42 AM  
Blogger howard said...

dlauthor,

I have to imagine Lynn was going for some kind of different expression for Liz when she drew that final panel face. I tried closing my eyes and lifting my head up with my mouth open, and I got the impression I was a newly-born baby bird waiting for a worm.

10:25 AM  
Blogger howard said...

dreadedcandiru2,

“Jesse Mukwa was a special kid. I wanted to give him something that meant a lot to me.” All true with interpretation.

Jesse Mukwa was special kid, because he was only student who liked Liz well enough to tell her he was sorry she was gone. On her last day of school, Ellen asks if she is leaving, but only Jesse expresses remorse for her departure. The other students walk off without saying anything. At the special naming ceremony when she leaves look at all one of the kids she taught in her two years coming up to her to say good-bye. It is just Jesse Mukwa. Little kids love a good teacher and they are unabashed in their affection. When my kids were younger, they hugged the teachers they liked, and they were not the only ones. With kids those ages, really good teachers had kids lined up to say goodbye at the end of the school year. I can understand why Liz would like Jesse Mukwa, because the reaction of the other kids to her tells me just how poor a teacher she was.

I wanted to give him something that meant a lot to me. But she didn’t.

10:51 AM  
Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

In other words, Liz is rewarding a favorite for his sycophancy by giving him a meaningless souvenir. Exactly what I would have expected from her.

3:16 PM  
Blogger howard said...

In other words, Liz is rewarding a favorite for his sycophancy by giving him a meaningless souvenir. Exactly what I would have expected from her.

Worse. She is giving a reward in order to receive his sycophancy. He does not say he misses her as a teacher until after she officially gives him the harmonica.

5:54 PM  
Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

And yet we're supposed to find this vain, selfish twit Therese's moral superioe,

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home