Wednesday, September 26, 2007

“Great” Gramma Marian

Now we are close to finishing the Vancouver trip sequence of For Better or For Worse, it occurs to me that if I were to pick one of the two, Jim or Marian, who was “great,” it would have been Jim. He takes abuse from the grandkids, walks them by the stream outdoors, puts Michael to bed, and tries to console Michael about his missing Super-Teddy with some good old-fashioned book reading. I suppose if I were analyzing the strip back in those days, I might have come to the conclusion Lynn Johnston was closer to her father than her mother. Given the introduction by Michael that everything about Marian was great, you would think that perhaps Lynn would have had Laura Piché do a retro-strip where Marian was more involved with her grandkids, so Michael could reasonably have gotten that impression. I suppose it is another situation where making a pun on something “great” is more important than actually having Michael make his point. Some people are born to greatness, Others have greatness thrust upon them by their grandchildren posthumously.

7 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

It would have been more honest for Mike to say "nothing" in response to "what made Grandma Marian so great." But we can't have that, now can we? ;)

I loved Mike's reference to his airport-pickup (as sign of greatness).

3:36 AM  
Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

april patterson:

I have the horrible feeling that Mike's impression of her as being "great" when she didn't earn such an appraisal was that unlike Jim, she didn't say "No" to him. The sad fact is that a dumb kid like Mike was will always prefer the relative who lets him get away with more, not the one who does the most good.

4:09 AM  
Blogger howard said...

aprilp_katje,

Thanks for the compliment on my April's Real Blog comment as Mike. My only regret was that Gramma Marian was not also shown raking the leaves (Mike's other sign of greatness).

6:55 AM  
Blogger howard said...

dreadedcandiru2,

I think you may be onto something. Now that you point it out, I realized the only adult who never stopped Mike from doing something in that Vancouver strip sequence was Gramma Marian. Most kids would prefer the grandparent who spent the most time with them, but as we know from Mira Sobinski, that is a measure of a poor grandparent, not a great one.

7:00 AM  
Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

There's a great reason for Mike preferring the woman who indulged him: most children don't have the same sense of entitlement that he had. I've never seen him ever really apologize for the wretched behavior of his youth. Gloss it over, perhaps, but never did he feel real regret.

8:09 AM  
Blogger howard said...

dreadedcandiru2,

"apologize"? I have seen the opposite.

Mike's Letter, June 2006

On nights when I can't sleep, I go back to the days when Lawrence and Gordo and I menaced the neighborhood with ripe tomatoes and a lust for laughter.

2:12 PM  
Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

Okay, not so much 'gloss over' as celebrate. The only time he's ever shown 'remorse' is when he realizes that he's overstepped he bounds of other people's tolerance. It's like he's almost a sociopath in a way.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home