Sunday, March 18, 2007

Arizona State Chess Championship

That’s what I was doing for the last 2 days. It was my boy’s first state tournament in chess. He won 2 games, got a bye for the early Sunday game (church activity interference), and lost 4 games. I was excited he won any games, because my fear was that the state level competition would be so rough he would get brutalized in every game.

I did take my kids to see some Roller Derby, since we learned that my boy’s Pediatric Physical Therapist skates for the Furious Truckstop Waitresses. She was the star of the game, and my son was quite excited to know a sports celebrity personally.

As for For Better or For Worse, we get to explore the idea that seeing someone suffer with bratty kids is funny. This is a pretty common theme in Hollywood kids movies, although it is usually the father or father figure who takes the abuse, and not the baby-sitter. The thing I find amusing is that with this strip, since Mike’s family moved in with Elly and company, we have now seen more strips of April taking care of the children than anyone else taking care of them. I know that among polygamous societies, where there is more than one wife, there is a pecking order of certain tasks to be performed usually based on the order of the wife’s entrance into the family. I wonder if this is some sort of subtle thing where Lynn Johnston is saying that because April is now the youngest semi-adult female, raising the children now falls to her.

Tomorrow’s strip: Liz dresses to kill for Warren Blackwood at Mike’s party. I find it interesting that after a single appearance by Warren, he jumps to the top of Liz’s list for dates. Anthony should consider it a slap on the face; after all he has done for Liz by testifying at her trial and showing her his house and his kid, and going to the verdict with her. If Anthony is not at Mike’s party, too, then I will be shocked (and severely disappointed).

9 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Imagine the crestfallen look, the angst-filled thought bubbles! ;)

3:39 AM  
Blogger howard said...

The interesting part about it for me will be Liz's motivations for inviting Warren, and dressing scantily for him, in front of Anthony. Liz has a history of showing up with other men to social occasions where Anthony is present, and this time there is no Therese to blame, and the other guy isn't gay. Whatever disaster occurs will be entirely her own doing.

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Entirely her own doing"? Now, now, Liz never, ever does anything wrong--it's just that old fate thing!

12:26 PM  
Blogger howard said...

Not fate! Faith!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Zandra Larson said...

Just thought I'd give you a heads up, Howard--the Milborough Dairy Queen is now an ex-Dairy Queen.

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope I don't ever fall for a girl like Liz. It could only end in heartbreak, angst, and disaster for me.

Why doesn't April ever get a break? For as long as I remember, she has been getting the short end of the stick in her family without so much as a simple thank you! And the only other times we see her are when she has morality lessons handed to her by her friends for seemingly innocent things.

I remember three summers ago, I could almost count on reading FBorFW to brighten my day. It's the opposite now -- I wonder why I take the time to read something that causes me frustration.

3:58 PM  
Blogger howard said...

susannamoodie,

Thanks for the Dairy Queen heads-up. I have adjusted appropriately.

5:32 PM  
Blogger howard said...

anonymous,

I know just what you mean. Reading For Better or For Worse now is like reading for completeness the novels of a favourite author, who has started producing dreck, just so you can say you have read it all and you know how the story ends. You secretly hope the author can pull it out and create something as good as their original work, but it never happens.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home