Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Crazy!

For today’s For Better or For Worse, almost all the commentary websites praised Jim for cursing at Mike and Mike was roasted and toasted for being so obnoxious to Grandpa Jim. Most of the commentators have assumed that because Michael is successful that Lynn Johnston approves his rudeness as it is portrayed in the strip. After seeing what Lynn Johnston did to Elizabeth, I am not sure I agree with that anymore. The usual designation of truth and admiration comes from Elly and possibly John (at least the John of the monthly letters).

The only place I see Elly and John compliment or be happy about something Mike has done is when he picks them up at the airport, or he rakes leaves. I don’t know that just because Mike is phenomenally successful, that means Lynn Johnston likes him best or is intentionally trying to portray everything he does in a positive light. I think Michael is playing the April role in the “Let’s learn about aphasia” sequence this is turning into. He gets to be stupid, while Lynn through Grandpa Jim and Iris guide him and us through understanding aphasia, that apparently Lynn has just recently taken the time to research.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

I suppose I ought to be grateful that April isn't cast into the "Duh, what's uh-fay-zuh?" role this time. :)

3:12 PM  
Blogger howard said...

Not to worry. I am sure April will have lots of opportunity to play stupid in the coming months. After all, we still haven't seen April visit Grandpa Jim.

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home