Sunday, January 28, 2007

Scream Part MXM

Today’s For Better or For Worse was tough to snark from the outside-the-family perspective. All Jeremy and Howard could really say was: Elly was loud. That’s a joke they have done before whenever Elly screams at something. I tried to make it a little more interesting by having the dogs react.

The main thing I concentrated on was trying to snark the idea of a good marriage, which was presented in today’s strip, by pointing out that young Lizzie may need to practise up on her screaming, if she is going to make a marriage work. I had originally worked up a whole thing where John Patterson would remark that he hadn’t seen the children in 3 weeks and Mike would indicate that Deanna had taken them into hiding. But aprilp_katje’s Blog entry went for the grandkids pointing out Elly had a tantrum, which was also funny and not nearly as black as my stuff.

Lynn Johnston has used Elly temper as a means of humour for decades now, but usually it has been in a reasonable response to John needling her in his former chauvinistic self, or the kids making some unusually selfish demand. Today’s strip dumbfounded me that Elly was actually screaming due to a situation of her own making. It’s hard to find humour in it.

There was a lot of screaming this week, and Deanna and the kids were noticeable absent. If Deanna and the kids were exposed to this shrieking, they would probably be thinking twice about living with Elly and John. I remember when Mira Sobinski and Melville Kelpfroth were yelling at each other, it frightened Meredith, so I would imagine seeing April and Elly shriek at each other would have a similar effect. Frankly, I think it would make for a great strip to have Meredith or Robin shrinking in fear from a screaming Elly Patterson, and have her finally realize after 28 years the effect all her screaming would have had on her children. “Have my screams made my children so weak, they can’t face the world? Is this the reason they are all living with me now?” I don’t think it will happen. Lynn thinks hysterical shrieking is funny.

Tomorrow’s strip: Just when you don’t think Lynn can take Liz any lower, somehow Lynn Johnston managed to do it. In bed, wide-eyed, and holding her old stuffed bunny is the lowest I have seen Elizabeth Patterson in this comic strip, possibly in the entire run of this comic strip series.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

In bed, wide-eyed, and holding her old stuffed bunny is the lowest I have seen Elizabeth Patterson in this comic strip, possibly in the entire run of this comic strip series.

Vigorous nodding, on that one. This is just pathetic.

4:02 AM  
Blogger howard said...

I guess she could have Liz drooling and nodding in a corner, and only responding if someone calls her Lizzie and offers her a cookie, and that would be lower than she is today. Oh! I suddenly realized something. Liz is going to go through a courtship with Anthony Caine and start thinking he is wonderful. There are aspects to that which could degrade her even more. Something to look forward to. If Elizabeth had her own Real Blog right now, it would be something like: Marry Anthony. Suicide. Marry Anthony. Suicide. Suicide is looking really good right now, but I wouldn't get to wear a pretty dress. And I have wanted to wear a pretty dress at least once in my life.

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home