Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Law of Lynn Part II

For today’s For Better or For Worse, I attempted to snark, what I thought were the deficiencies in the legal drama, i.e. Liz is in the hall, Liz knows what’s going on the courtroom, and Howard’s not testifying relative, Kayla (a character created by greytail088) . I got contradicted on all 3 items over in the FOOBiverse’s Journal by qnjones and rebelcat, and I made some errors in my portrayal of the Canadian court system, which I will correct in the future, but I am not going back.

Lynn Johnston seems to have 3 objectives in this courtroom drama:
1. Put Howard Bunt away, to make up for her extremely shoddy writing of Liz’s assault a year ago. To this end, she brings up the idea that Howard has not only assaulted one of his relatives, but that the relative is afraid to testify, for fear of reprisals or family disunity or something of the like.
2. Bring Liz and Anthony together. To this end, she has Anthony ask Liz about her grandfather, which is probably the reason why the Monday – Wednesday strips were necessary. Then tomorrow, she shows Anthony listening to Liz blather on about nonsense, showing that he can tolerate her inanity.
3. Cut down the Canadian Justice system. To this end, we show Liz and Anthony having to wait to testify and we are told that this is at least their second day of waiting.

3 plots at once are pretty challenging, and it looks like Lynn is only going to really concentrate on the Liz and Anthony plot. I hope the strip actually shows Liz and Anthony testifying. That could be funny, just by itself.

4 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

With Howard's relative, I'm thinking not so much that he assaulted this person, but that this is someone who knows something--witnessed something Howard did. Sort of like Anthony "Ear Tweak" Caine. And that the person doesn't want to testify out of loyalty.

5:21 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Not to be contrary, but Lynn Johnston paints her characters in such broad strokes these days, I would be very surprised if this was not a relative Howard assaulted. You could be right, but I would be surprised.

7:46 AM  
Blogger howard said...

qnjones,

Thanks for the encouragement. Howard is in a prime position to snark Lynn's legal inaccuracies, but I have been finding it difficult to get the information necessary to snark it.

I had an anonymous poster who dropped in occasionally, who seemed to be clearly well-informed on the Canadian legal system, but even what the anonymous poster said was contradicted by rebelcat and you. rebelcat had been through an actual sexual assault trial in Canada, so I really couldn't say, "Well, this anonymous poster on the Howard Bunt blog said..." to argue the point.

It makes it difficult to snark Lynn if I do not have a solid foot to stand on, and the desire to snark runs deep within my soul.

4:35 PM  
Blogger howard said...

I think I am only a yellow or white belt in Google-fu. However, I appreciate whatever help you can give me.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home