Sunday, November 05, 2006

Simple Act of Nature

In today’s For Better or For Worse we have Elly screaming at dogs who take too long to do their business, and John thinks she is yelling at him. This tells you so much about the Elly and John relationship. In days past, John used to try to intentionally irritate Elly and she responded with growls, and yells, and objects thrown at his head. Decades of this kind of treatment have apparently taken their toll, and while we see much evidence of it in John’s monthly letters, where he seems to be almost completely withdrawn from his family, the strongest evidence was in today’s strip, where John feels the need to apologize. After all, there is more than one washroom in the house.

I actually enjoyed seeing the dogs sniff around. The rain in Arizona creates a smell unlike any other place that I have lived. During a visit to the Arizona Desert Botanical Gardens about a month ago, they had a lovely display indicating that the smell came from wet Creosote plants, with water you could pour over Creosote leaves and smell. This made such an impression on me, that when I saw today’s strip, I was struck by how realistic this actually would be for a dog. The rain on the downed leaves would create an odor, and a strong odor for a dog’s nose. So, I posted for Howard (a man who had a month living as a dog back about a year ago), from that doggy perspective.

The other perspectives simply had to do with a longstanding running joke, that Elly’s screaming can be heard at long distances. For Constable Paul Wright, it gives him serious (and realistic) fears about how married life with Elizabeth would be. Let’s face it, judging from the way Liz goes after Shiimsa, you know she is going to make the life of any man she marries a living hell, just as her mother did to her father. Anthony Caine is going to miss the simple days of living with Thérèse, after he settles in with Elizabeth.

For Jeremy Jones, he is entering a “dump on Jeremy” phase, thanks to the Gym Jam lead-in. In the strip or monthly letters, they may eventually indicate that Becky and Jeremy are still associated, but since they played it that Jeremy did not show up to do audio, what should have been clear to us hapless readers was that picking Jeremy to do her audio, was supposed to have been a giant red flag waving to us readers that Becky was making poor friend choices. I think there is some Jeremy hate still flowing in Corbeil, but I must admit I completely missed it. Nevertheless, I don’t see how Becky would continue her association with Jeremy, given the situation portrayed in the strip, so I think it is fairly safe to say Jeremy would be fired from doing audio for Becky.

As for Michael Patterson, I enjoyed doing the “Wink wink nudge nudge say no more” Monty Python sketch with aprilp_katje posting as April today. I wonder if I can work in the Spam sketch.

3 Comments:

Blogger howard said...

You think Liz will actually be a worse wife than Elly? It could be. At least John didn't start out without a spine, like Anthony or Paul will with Liz.

10:00 AM  
Blogger howard said...

When I see the way Liz treats Shiimsa though, I can see a Liz who might become like a bellering Elly. After all, we have only seen Elly post-marriage. She might have bottled up too, before she was married.

I remember, years ago, a young lady who was quite passive and spoke little when she was single, who became quite belligerent and unpleasant to be around once she got married. Both she and her husband performed in the Dallas Gilbert and Sullivan Society, and I remember people were shocked at how her behaviour changed post-marriage. When I think about the Liz of the future, I remember this woman.

Could modern Elly be a future Liz? I guess we'll never know.

2:42 PM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

I suspect the different approach to cats in the monthly letters is Stephanie's influence--she's definitely a cat person.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home