Monday, September 04, 2006

Band practice

In today’s For Better or For Worse, there were a few surprises. The first one was that Eva Abuya was wearing as revealing clothes as she was. In the old days, if Becky McGuire had worn an outfit like that, a comment would have been made about it. The second one was that Duncan Anderson, honestly, looked like a girl. I would think that at some point in the art, someone would look back at it and say, “You know. I don’t think Duncan has breasts.” The third one was that, and aprilp_katje will be upset at me for saying this, but the pun was actually not too bad. It was taking the words “pop” and “culture” and using a reinterpretation of the meaning by reversing the order. I do this kind of humour often. Like Frosted Flakes, which I frequently refer to as the Flakes of Frost. Compared to “dynamics” and “dynamite”, the painful pun from the prior day, “pop culture” was quite a bit better.

Tomorrow’s strip: Liz moves back in and if Lynn keeps working in real time, April and Liz will both go back to school on Tuesday. Oddly enough, the point of the strip appears to be to contradict Thomas Wolfe. Apparently, you can go back home again.

"Oh Mother Elly, but it wasn't a dream! It was a place! I went to a magical place called Mtigwaki. And you - and you - and you - and you were there. But you couldn't have been, could you? I saw Anthony there, only he was a First Nations policeman named Paul Wright. I saw you there mother Elly, only you were a Métis woman named Vivian Crane. And dad was an Ojibway named Gary Crane. And April was a little Ojibway boy abandoned by his parents named Jesse Mukwa, who was always pestering me and getting into my stuff. And even Edgar was there only he was a cat named Shiimsa. It was all very wonderful, but the whole time I wanted to go home. Oh, but anyway, Edgar, we're home. Home! And this is my room, and you're all here. And I'm not gonna leave here ever, ever again, because I love you all, and - oh, Mother Elly - there's no place like home!”

6 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Oh Mother Elly, but it wasn't a dream! It was a place! I went to a magical place called Mtigwaki. . . .

LOL! This was hysterical--and so apt. :)

Aw, it's okay that you laughed at the pun yesterday--just so long as you understand that I'm unlikely to have ARB April relax and start loving the puns like a proper Patterson. ;)

4:48 AM  
Blogger howard said...

I would expect no less of ARB April. She must stay diligent in her quest not to be a proper Patterson, even though we know she is doomed to failure.

6:24 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Yes, this is what makes her plight so tragic. ;)

9:43 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Yes, April's Real Blog, which some people may suppose is satire and comedy, is actually a tragic work, on the level of King Lear, or perhaps King Larry.

10:20 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Tragic farce, like Ionesco? ;)

2:57 PM  
Blogger howard said...

Yes. There are many similarities between Ionesco and ARB.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home