Sunday, June 18, 2006

Inheritance

Inheritance is an interesting thing. The only time I ever got an inheritance was when my grandparents (my mother’s parents died). It was not a lot of money, but it was something. My grandparents were of the opinion that their children did not need money, since they were grown, but that their grandchildren would, particularly in the area of paying for university education. This deeply disturbed their son (my uncle), whom I now recognize probably has a form of Asperger’s Syndrome, like my son has. My uncle has very poor social skills, which is to say that he can be incredibly unpleasant to be around. When I am around him, I am filled with fear that my son will end up the same way. My uncle has always had a difficulty with employment, and when my grandmother died, my mother worked on his behalf with my grandfather to give him something to help him survive. Likewise, when my grandfather died, my mother also worked to get him some inheritance money, because my grandfather did not want to leave him anything.

So when the strip today talked about April inheriting things, I was struck by the idea that April might not inherit anything. Not for reasons of Mexican vacations or the purchase of an expensive Crevasse, but because when Elly speaks about the future of the family, she mentions the grandchildren and not April. The recent strip sequence was very telling in this. When Elly spoke to April about burial plots, she did not ever look April in the face. It was John who came in to have the close, personal talk with April. We will never see it to tell for sure, but I would bet that April gets nothing. Merrie will get most, if not all of the inheritance money coming from John and Elly.

I did have a slight disappointment today. the_berserker had dropped a line in the Writing Class that Aunt Perdita expected Duncan to show up to listen to the Mighty Gabby at the Barbados on the Water festival, going on in Toronto this weekend. So, I was convinced that this was where Duncan would be caught. the_berserker surprised me by having him caught at Tim Horton’s. I had this whole idea in mind where Eva and Jeremy go to the Barbados on the Water festival and spot things like, Officer Brad Luggsworth disguised in a Carribean outfit, complete with fake wig. And they also spot a mysterious, tall, skinny white guy traveling with Zandra Larson. During the Mighty Gabby part of the concert, the Mighty Gabby asks for the famous hip-hop artist, McDunC to come to the stage to perform with him, but it is a set up. The mysterious, tall, skinny white guy is shown to be Duncan with Charles Wallace on his shoulders, covered by a long coat. Once revealed, he is snagged. I didn’t get to do that story, but no matter. I got to tell what I had planned to do. And that is good enough.

Tomorrow’s strip: John shows exactly how not to do a workout on Father’s Day. We had a workout strip just 2 weeks ago with Elly and Connie. I wonder who will be working out in the next 2 weeks.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

After having seen my grandparents' assets eaten away by nursing-home costs, I don't expect anything in the way of inheritance. Maybe I'll end up being surprised, but I figure not counting on such a thing is the most sensible way to go.

1:39 PM  
Blogger howard said...

My grandmother died from cancer, so she spent no time in a nursing home. My grandfather was in a nursing home for less than 6 months before he passed away. So, their assets did not get eaten away by nursing homes. You are right that it is better not to count on anyhing like that for your survival. My grandmother was a depression age baby and managed her money very well, even though she was a school teacher and my grandfather was a minister and they did not make that much money. My grandmother is a model for me, as far as financial management goes.

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home