Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Student Teacher Appears

Very busy today. I barely had time to write anything and I fear it is just going to get worse. Sorry aprilp_katje.

Paul Wright mainly functioned as the fill-in for the spots in the Liz story which aprilp_katje snarked about the visual joke that Liz supposedly wrote in a letter.

Jeremy Jones pussy-footed around the impending car test drive with John and snarked the daily strip a little bit.

Howard did a little Elly monthly letter snark. It was fun to look up the last time Elly and John were in Mexico and the fact that it was 2 weeks that lasted 5 weeks. I suspect the reason Elly and John don't take April on those trips is that April gets a week off from school for March break, but Elly and John take longer vacations than one week. Why they couldn't take a shorter vacation and take April, I don't know. My vacations are always aligned with my kids' school calendar as are those of virtually every parent I know. When they take vacation is when I take vacation. The first time my parents took a vacation without me was when my mom remarried and went on her honeymoon. Of course, I was 19 at the time, so it was no longer a big deal.

Tomorrow's strip: Thank goodness the student teacher isn't a little person, or in a wheelchair. That would have been too much to bear. For snarking, I predict fraction jokes or a discussion about student teachers who don't speak.

My mom was a high school chorus teacher and I remember she had student teachers come in on a pretty regular basis. They were there for at least a semester. I cannot imagine how getting only a week of practice teaching will help you much. I would like to chalk it up to another Lynn doesn't know what the heck she is talking about, but when Liz was in university, Lynn did a proper semester of teaching for her. It makes me really wonder if Lynn is trying to show how bad the Ojibway education system is, with these kind of situations.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

The recurrent vacationing without April really does make it seem as though John and Elly don't much care for her. I'm surprised they didn't do a retcon in their lettrs, such as "We invited April to join us, but she insisted she wanted to stay home and spend time with her friends." After all, they did retcons to try repairing the impression that they hadn't taken April (and her university education) into account for their retirement plans. ;)

6:05 AM  
Blogger howard said...

If they had done a retcon like that, I could completely believe it. After all, a week with Elly and John making puns in Mexico would a torture. However, when I was kid, going to the beach in the middle of winter would have been an enormous treat, particularly with the possibility of coming back with a tan. I would have said yes, even if it meant going with John and Elly.

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home