Sunday, March 05, 2006

Academy Awards

My wife loves the Academy Awards. When they came on, she came up to me and said, “Feed the children” and she sequestered herself by the television. This meant that she stopped her office cleaning and I was able to do some posts…after I fed the children of course.

My girl wanted to see the movie, Aquamarine today. It is definitely geared toward the young girl, pre-teen set. As we left the theatre, there was a giant line outside the women’s restroom. My daughter went in, and I went to the men’s restroom to discover I was about the only man there. That should give you an indication of how girly the film was.

Today’s strip was an odd mixture of John leering at women and Elly’s disapproval. The last time they went to Mexico for a 2-week vacation that lasted 5 weeks, there were 2 strips that focused on John’s leering at women. There have been a few others, I think once at a fair with grandpa Jim. This is really a common joke for Lynn. It’s hard to tell if she is recycling or the Lynnions are recycling. I have a tendency to compare latter day Lynn with the strips from the late, great Charles Schultz. His last several years of Peanuts were crammed full of variations on recycled jokes from his early years. I would hope if the Lynnions were responsible, they would have the good sense to do something different. But they may be trying to appease Lynn, if they are doing the writing. But, given what appeared in latter day Peanuts, there is a good chance is Lynn is the responsible party.

As for snarking the strip, I went mainly to Howard to do versions of the dialogue done in 3 different ways with him, Krystle (Becky’s mom), and Dr. Ted McCauley. It did not come out particularly funny. It was more amusing to me when I was thinking of it.

Jeremy dropped in a pity post to the_berserker's Duncan, who seems to be setting up Zandra Larson as a possible romantic interest, and I mentioned the Sisters of Mercy concert tickets for a 3rd time. I really know nothing about the Goth scene, but the concert is mentioned on the Toronto Goth link from susannamoodie’s excellent Zandra Larson Blog site, so I figured she might want to go to that concert. And it would be interesting to see susannamoodie and the_berserker play with that activity, particularly if they wanted to get other April’s Real Blog characters involved, like April and Gerald, for instance, where April’s goth aspirations could be explored in front of a shocked Gerald.

The good constable did his usual, “Elly is wonderful” post. I figure if he worships Liz the way he does, he would also worship her mother. aprilp_katje usually hammers Elly whenever she gets a chance, and I really enjoy using Constable Paul Wright to take the exact opposite stance. It is one of my favourite running gags.

Tomorrow’s strip: I expect aprilp_katje will take April to task for the hair style. The Jeremy reactions should be easy to do, if he gets to see the hair. I will have to think on Howard and the good constable.

It is the second week in a row to start if with one person addressing another via an e-mail letter. If this sequence continues, we will get Elly and John writing from Mexico and maybe even Mike writing from the attic. Since Elly and John did a Sunday colour strip appearance and haven’t done anything in Mexico yet, it looks like we are headed into an April story arc. I do not know if we will get the originally predicted talent show contest and reunion of 4-Evah with Eva as the new lead singer, mentioned in the February April’s monthly letter, or if we are going to get some April and Connie interaction. I am conflicted about it. One the one hand, I would love to see 4-Evah face off against Becky in a talent show. On the other hand, I have no recollection of ever seeing Connie interact with April, and Connie’s cut-the-crap attitude she normally has with Elly, could be very interesting with April. Prediction: April spends the entire week belly-aching and complaining about being baby-sat. Laughter ensues, while we learn a very important lesson about teenagers.

3 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

I expect aprilp_katje will take April to task for the hair style. The Jeremy reactions should be easy to do, if he gets to see the hair.

I didn't take that path, but I hope April's story about her hallway conversation with Jeremy makes up for that a little bit. :)

10:52 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

BTW, although it still looks bad, April's hair does not look as hideous in the B/W version. The colorizers made it look worse by making it look like a thick, solid mass instead of the more feathery, strandy effect in B/W.

11:08 AM  
Blogger howard said...

I agree that April's hair looks better in black and white. I did enjoy the Jeremy conversation, even though my expectations were dashed.:)

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home