Tuesday, March 07, 2006

All the Parents’ Vacations

I had originally thought, when I wrote up the story that Becky’s mom and Dr. Ted McCauley decided to go on vacation leaving Becky behind with Howard, that it might be pushing it a bit. We are in the middle of an April story arc, so it is possible Becky could show up and mention her mom is in town. Tomorrow’s strip alleviated my fears. It appears that leaving your kids behind with a sitter during March is a common practice for Milborough parents. If things really happened this way, can you imagine the number of wild teenage parties to occur in Milborough during March break?

qnjones has been sick and has not posted any activities with Gerald, so no retconning is necessary for Gerald’s parents. However the_berserker will now have to retcon Duncan’s parents’ whereabouts, since I believe she has recently had Duncan mention them being in Milborough.

As for today, my characters snarked April’s breakfast routine with Connie and I continued to make references to yesterday’s story about April’s temporary change in hairstyle (which we won’t see in the strip) and how much better she looks with it. aprilp_katje and greytail088 decided to start a series of posts based on the idea that Jeremy doesn’t look 40 years old, which is a joke I have had running about him since his last appearance in the strip, where he looked dramatically different from his prior appearance at the grade 8 grad. I don’t have much to work with for Jeremy, since he appears in the strip maybe 2 times a year, so I have to latch onto whatever I can. I have high hopes he is getting close to making another appearance in the strip, so I will get new material for Jeremy.

At least Jeremy is better off than poor, forgotten Eva, who appears to be heading down the Eugene Lee highway to disappearing forever. If she existed as she has been written in the monthly letters, she would have been at lunch with April’s crowd in tomorrow’s strip. In some respects, it is better that she does not reappear. The people at For Better or For Worse will not have the time to develop her properly and considering the abysmal job they are doing with Constable Paul Wright, it may be better if they don’t try. I guess this explains why Eva failed to get a mention in April’s March monthly letter on the For Better or For Worse website, even though she was mentioned in February.

So far, the April story arc has followed this statement in Elly’s February monthly letter pretty closely:

John and I are looking forward to a holiday next month. My friend Connie has agreed to stay at our house for a week with April. Our teenager would prefer to go it alone, of course - and we've had a couple of wailing sessions with regards to her maturity and responsibility and how much trust we have...In the end, I think she'll be more than happy to come home to another "mom" - if only for the quality complaints she'll be able to share with her buds.

I expect it will continue to do so for the rest of the week.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

qnjones has been sick and has not posted any activities with Gerald, so no retconning is necessary for Gerald’s parents. However the_berserker will now have to retcon Duncan’s parents’ whereabouts, since I believe she has recently had Duncan mention them being in Milborough.

I didn't take today's strip to mean that Gerald and Duncan are right now in the care of sitters--only that, in the past, the same thing has happened at their house and they didn't like it any more than April did.

6:17 AM  
Blogger howard said...

qnjones,

That's a great story. My girl is 8 and my boy is 10, so the thought of them going to a drunken high school party would terrify me as a parent.

I grew up in redneck western North Carolina, and the type of party you went to, the type of party you always see in the teenager movies, I don't think ever happened when I was in high school. Of course, it is possible it did happen and that no one told me about it, but it seems unlikely.

aprilp_katje

You are probably right about Duncan and Gerald's parents not being out of town right now. When I reread the text, I can see it being interpreted either way.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home