Sunday, September 18, 2005

Dinner with Dr. Forsythe

I had to be away from the computer for most of the day today, so when I finally got back, I was curious as to what stuff would have been posted by qnjones as Gerald and Becky about the events of the dinner with Gerald’s dad and how I would work those 2 narratives together into Howard’s narrative. As it turned out, Becky posted, but Gerald didn’t. In addition, Becky’s post was unusually terse for a Becky post. So I had to come up with a reason why Gerald would not have posted and why Becky’s post was so short.

1. If I were Gerald’s father, how would I try to encourage my son to be interested in another girl? There were the usual methods of threat, bribery, vague hinting (April = bad, Becky = good), but I was pretty sure that would not actually work with our straight arrow Gerald. So, I called up my experiences in watching “The Bachelor” television show, as to what would be considered a very romantic date. Gerald’s dad would set up a romantic situation and hope that nature would take its course between Gerald and Becky.
2. Why was Becky’s post short? My thought was that Becky goes along with quite a few of the romantic things, and may be embarrassed to admit that to April on April’s Real Blog. Nothing nasty, but enough to perhaps make April a little concerned.
3. Why didn’t Gerald post? My thought was embarrassment. Becky’s post said he had a testicular injury, but that’s nothing new for Gerald these days. I had to up the ante to get embarrassment.

Thanks to aprilp_katje for suggesting the idea that Gerald’s dad is a man who has a stack of legal books on being a surety. I took that idea to do Gerald’s dad’s dialogue in surety legalese. After all that, I hope someone takes the time to read it and maybe finds it a little funny.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

I love what you did with the surety legalese. I imagine Dr. Forsythe was oblivious to the fact that Howard kept fading, and leaving the room, during his scintillating discourse. :)

6:23 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Q.N.

I know what you mean about getting creative inspiration. Just by getting the short post from Becky and none from Gerald got me started in a direction that was very different from where I would have gone had you written a lot of stuff. I enjoyed filling in the "Why was Becky's post short?" explanation. Plus your response to that "Why" was great. I am looking forward to hearing Gerald's side of the story.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home