Saturday, June 28, 2008

Phone Etiquette

I remember years ago getting a lecture on how to answer a telephone, after an occasion where I did not answer the telephone properly when I was 9 years old. My dad’s boss called the house, and I honestly do not remember what I did; but I do remember my mother informing me I was not to do it again. Before that time, I don’t really remember answering the phone.

Today’s For Better or For Worse reminded me of that situation, and it rings somewhat true, except for a few things:

1. I would have never handed the phone over to my little sister, because it would have given her a status of being able to handle the phone, something I would not have wanted her to have.

2. The part about the person on the other end of the phone hanging up would not have happened either. The way my mother found out how I had answered the phone all those years ago, was because my dad’s boss told my mom (who was not present at the time when the phone rang) how I had answered the phone, when I finally found her and handed over the phone.

3. The person on the other end of the telephone line swearing at little Lizzie could happen, but marks the person making the phone with extremely inappropriate behaviour also. Even during my phone conversation at age 9, the person on the other line did not swear at me.

Elly Patterson is handed the telephone and will probably be perturbed that the person hung up, but we will not see that interchange. Elly wondering out loud why the person hung up, with a guilty-looking Michael in the background might have made for a funnier strip. Even back then, Lynn Johnston often did not think situations all the way through for staging her humour.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We just weren't allowed to touch the phone when we were young. Like, on pain of death. I can remember how disconcerting my mother found it when I reached an age (7? 8?) where my friends were allowed to call me up, and she had to let me start talking on the phone then. But even then, she still didn't want us answering it.

As you say, this strip is ridiculous because 1) an older sibling wouldn't hand off the phone to an inferior sibling, and 2) the person on the line probably wouldn't swear to kids, especially back in 1979. I think it likely that they would hang up, though, and try back later. When I was finally allowed to answer the phone, I had that happen to me a couple of times, if it took me awhile to find my mother.

I am reminded of the infinitely superior Calvin and Hobbes cartoons of Calvin answering the phone. In one, he says he will take a message for his mom but must find a pen. Instead, he goes and gets a paper bag. He blows it up, then pops it, and screams, "I've been shot!!!" before hanging up the phone. I'm laughing now, just thinking about it. I always wanted to do that one, when I was in high school.

12:49 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

I remember that C & H strip. Classic! :)

4:58 AM  
Blogger howard said...

qnjones,

We just weren't allowed to touch the phone when we were young. Like, on pain of death.

I remember that being the case for me too. At age 9, I must have just reached the age where either I was permitted to do it, or I was becoming bold enough to answer the phone when my parents were not around to do it.

6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

howard,

I didn't have that problem growing up, being one of the younger children in my family and all. There was always an older sibling on hand to remind me of my inferior status, phone-wise. I didn't get to answer the phone by myself until I was about ten or so.

That being said, you were right about not missing much this last week. It was six more examples of Elly putting the dumb in martyrdom.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Speaking of C&H comics involving the phone, I love the one where Calvin answers the phone. The person on the other end says, "May I speak with your mother?" Calvin response, "Heck, you don't need MY permission! Speak with her all you want! *hangs up* What a weirdo!"

10:12 AM  
Blogger howard said...

dreadedcandiru2,

That being said, you were right about not missing much this last week. It was six more examples of Elly putting the dumb in martyrdom.

A good week to take off. With any luck, Lynn will have it out of her system for awhile. However, we had in April 2 Sundays 1 week 4 days dailies of reprints, in May 2 Sundays, 2 weeks dailies of reprints, and in June 2 Sundays, 1 week dailies of reprints. So, chances are with July and August there will be 2 Sundays and at least 1 week of dailies in reprint per month. So, assuming her August 30th conclusion is accurate then of the 8 Sunday strips left, 4 of them will be reprint. And of the 9 weeks of dailies left, probably 3 of them will be reprint. That leaves 4 new Sundays and 6 weeks of dailies. Michael and Deanna’s wedding story went from 8/27/2001 to 9/22/2001 from Michael’s stag party to leaving after the wedding = 27 total days including Sundays. If Lynn Johnston is going to do a comparable job with Liz and Anthony, then she will have to start the wedding week story in the next 2 weeks.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home