Thursday, January 17, 2008

I Was Married to John Patterson for 31 Years

Another new article about For Better or For Worse and this one from the Minneapolis-St. Paul StarTribune has more details than the last one. I will comment on the stuff which is new to me.

The strip now is a hybrid, which has never been tried before, Johnston said. “At first I was planning to retire completely and I wanted to bring the story full circle and have it so that it ended,” she said.But Universal Press polled its clients and decided to begin rerunning the strips from the start — no surprise because it’s one of only five comics in more than 2,000 newspapers.

Translation: Universal Press started losing papers and wanted to have leverage with Lynn Johnston to say that the hybrid was not working. Here is your poll:

Would you, as a Universal Press client, prefer to see the comic strip For Better or For Worse as:
a.
It’s current hybrid format, where you can’t tell what is going on to whom and where your customers write to your Letters to the Editor column asking you what is going on to whom over and over again
b. Reprints rerun in exact chronological order so the stories makes sense again, even if they are 28 years old and drawn with a felt tip marker
c. New material written by some person the current author handpicks and then will fire a few months into the process, due to creative differences

Any comics creator “would give their right arm for that to happen,” she said. “But I said I’d like to be hands-on if it’s going to run again. I wanted to break it in slowly, but still give myself a break, because I do want to retire.”
The strip will begin again and Johnston will add new material as she sees fit, but in a style consistent with earlier strips. That’s a shift from the mix of old and new announced last September, but she thinks it has proven confusing to go back and forth in time. Plus, her original strips were individual gags, not part of a continuing story. Her new solution is to draw fresh strips every once in a while to create something of a unifying thread.

Translation: The clients chose option (b) and Universal Press tried to impress that on Lynn. Lynn said, “This is my strip and you’re not telling me what to do, however….”
Instead of agreeing to do that, Lynn decided to reach a compromise: a less-confusing hybrid, i.e. she maintains the same timeline as the reprint strips and puts new things in the reprint storyline.


The trick is that she’ll draw them in her original style. “It’s hard, but I like challenges,” said Johnston, who’s 60. “The strip has become very tight, and I’m far happier with my drawing now. There’s actually some perspective in the buildings! But you tend to improve and improve and improve until they’re so realistic. In the past, they were more fluid and comic, so I’m going back to my old style.”

Translation: My pet theory is that original Lynn style we have seen thus far in the hybrid is actually the work of Laura Piché, the background artist. Even today’s fix on the last panel of the reprint strip looks like Laura Piché’s work to me. Lynn’s use of the future tense in “I’m going back to my old style” is more proof my theory is correct. Otherwise, she would have said, “I have been occasionally using my old style with the hybrid, and now I will be using that style exclusively.” Now, the real question is whether or not Lynn really will be doing the art, or will it be more Laura Piché?

Talking about Rod--Again!

“It’s the classic story of middle-age angst,” she said of her husband’s decision to leave her. “He’s gone off” with someone much younger, she said, declining to share more details.

Much younger? I had heard rumours that Rod’s original someone else, rumoured to be Nancy Vincent, had returned back to her husband, leaving Rod off futilely chasing 20-something young girls of Corbeil, which does match a description of middle-age angst nicely (even though Rod is in his 60s). I would have guessed Nancy Vincent was about 10 years younger than Lynn; so maybe Rod is now with someone else other than Nancy, depending on how Lynn defines “much younger.” Who knows? I am, however, disappointed that Lynn is bringing this issue up again in a national publication, especially considering what she is about to say next:

Still, she spoke easily of how life and art have mingled for her. John Patterson is a dentist loosely based on her husband, Rod Johnston, who had recently retired from dentistry. His leaving suddenly made it difficult for her to draw John in the strip. So Elly’s husband was absent for several weeks until Johnston realized that, doodle by doodle, she could resume drawing him — which led to a rather startling insight.“John is a character in the strip, but I realize now, more than ever, that perhaps I had made up the real person,” she said. “I think the real person — the way things ended — seemed like something so unexpected and out of character. But I’m more at home with this stuff now and can see that there were signs of this for a long time. And perhaps because I do live in a fantasy world, I probably really was married for 31 years to John Patterson.”

Translation: I am still working through this divorce thing, and I still can’t manage to blame my cheating husband. Instead I am blaming myself for imagining Rod acted like John in the strip, and not recognizing the obvious clues that Rod has been cheating on me for a long time. In the meantime, can I possibly get someone to sit with me through interviews and tell me when I have wandered into things people shouldn’t say out loud?

And Now For Some Lies


She’s not yet sure how the FBorFW story lines will wrap up, and figures that her characters will direct her. She herself doesn’t read other comics, partly because the newspaper in her small community of Corbeil, Ontario, about three hours northwest of Toronto, only carries a few, “and I don’t go online.”

I have heard “The characters drive me” nonsense before, usually used by Lynn to try to throw us readers off the “Anthony and Elizabeth together forever” scent. I didn’t believe it before and I don’t believe it now.

I also find the other statement highly unlikely. She’s spoken of other people’s strips in interviews before, and considering Jan Eliot keeps putting Elly/Lynn into her strip, The Stone Soup, it seems like a pretty silly thing to say. Finally, Corbeil may be 3 hours NW of Toronto, but it is pretty darn close to North Bay. You're not that isolated from a decent-sized town and its newspaper, Lynn Johnston, and I have no idea why you are pretending to be.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Lynn could be doing what a lot of famous people do in interviews when asked about their personal lives: they kind of blather on, saying things that may or may not be true. Maybe she really feels like she closed her eyes to how Rod really was all these years. Or maybe she's saying it because it sounds good for an interview. Who knows?

Howard, have you heard that Rod is chasing 20-somethings? Or is that just hyperbole?

I am sorry to hear the new strips will all be in the old timeline. I was hoping to see more of Lizthony. Because I'm a masochist. :)

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is Lynn pretending to be isolated?

"And perhaps because I do live in a fantasy world.."

I don't think there is any "perhaps" about it; Lynn has fabricated stories about her life for a long time IMO.

Notice how she changed the story of the death of the friend of Aaron that she based the "Dee/Mike remeeting" on. I think Lynn can't really tell truth from fiction anymore. happened from her fantasies.

9:37 PM  
Blogger howard said...

qnjones

Howard, have you heard that Rod is chasing 20-somethings? Or is that just hyperbole?
Hyperbole from moi? How absurd. This is the link from a Crown Princess poster back in December, but clearly not a first-hand source and questionable, because of the facts gotten wrong with respect to Dr. Johnston’s dental practice. Some of the other facts are close enough to what I know about Nancy Vincent (she was, at one point, a hygienist for Dr. Patterson), to make me think the Crown Princess poster got a true story but messed up the facts in retelling the story.

Sometimes an anonymous poster who lives in Corbeil pops in here at the Howard Bunt Blog to straighten us out on this business, and I have found no flaws in what that anonymous poster has said. However, that same anonymous expressed a desire not to talk about Lynn Johnston’s personal life in his/her last post to the Howard Bunt Blog; so I expect I will be sitting here waiting either for Lynn to finally stop talking about the matter or for her to say something more specific in her interviews. As long as she keeps bringing it up, then I will look at what she is saying, especially if she goes on an off-beat tangent like she did on this last one.

I am sorry to hear the new strips will all be in the old timeline. I was hoping to see more of Lizthony. Because I'm a masochist. :)
I don’t think she’s starting “all old-timeline strips” until after Lizthony is resolved (married); but you already know that. I suppose you must be talking about the post-marital Lizthony, and if so, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I was seriously excited about the possibility that Liz would come back from her honeymoon with Anthony and suddenly announce she is pregnant, and she doesn’t know how it happened, like Elly and Deanna did before her. Maybe, if we’re lucky, Lynn will address that storyline in her book about what happens next to all the characters.

10:23 PM  
Blogger howard said...

debjyn

Notice how she changed the story of the death of the friend of Aaron that she based the "Dee/Mike remeeting" on. I think Lynn can't really tell truth from fiction anymore. Happened from her fantasies.
I did notice that on that podcast interview the Aaron accident story went from its prior story about a car accident (as it was for Dee/Mike in the strip) to a suicide hanging from a tree in a public park. Such differences cannot be explained by a simple confusion of the facts. I think Lynn was in a mood for gruesome stories when she did that podcast.

10:24 PM  
Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

She may not be isolated physically but she certainly seems to isolated mentally. This is what happens when you surround yourself with people who only tell you what you want to hear and angrily discount dissenting opinions. She spent an indefinite period listening to people who told her that all was well with her and Rod because they feared how she'd react to honesty. She's gone on record as saying that most people find her to be arrogant from time to time and that categorization is correct. She will not listen to the only useful voice there is: the one that tells her when she's making a mistake.

3:17 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

From the context in the article, I have the impression that the polling of clients occurred before the idea of the hybrid was ever introduced. So the options would have been "the strip ends" vs. "reruns from the beginning, in chronological order." Then Lynn decided upon the hybrid. Which has been made of fail.

Lynn's premise about having invented a fantasy-Rod sounds an awful lot like what Liz wrote in one of her letters regarding having supposedly invented Paul. Hm.

3:50 AM  
Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

Lynn's premise about having invented a fantasy-Rod sounds an awful lot like what Liz wrote in one of her letters regarding having supposedly invented Paul. Hm.

Once again, we're on the saame wavelength. I almost expected her to say that she'd made Rod up or something. Sooner or later, she'll make a half-hearted admission that she never knew who he was in the first place and say that she's moved on to better things. Things like yelling at people who disagree with her.

5:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I really want to see post-marital Lizthony, mainly because I'm curious if Lynn will give her two kids of her own, one boy and one girl, because of course the only people who don't end up with children of both genders have inferior families, or if she will just get a couple of boys, because boys are the superior gender and will bring the family success (Mike) whereas girls are just going to get married and pop out babies and can only have properly child-centered careers if they have one at all. I realize this is a perverse reason to want to suffer through more Lizthony, but there you go.

I guess I am also curious how she would handle the evil stepchild storyline. Would Francie be turned into a bland Patterclone by the loving attention of Liz? Or would she be cast as an outsider who keeps the Pattercaine family from being perfectly harmonious?

I'm also curious whether John and Elly would give Anthony money to start his own business, so he could be a Patterserf in his own right, or if Anthony and Liz will continue to be shown as inferior to Mike and Dee, who have it all, and Anthony forced to continue as a serf to a Patterserf.

Not to mention, will Liz give up her "true calling" of teaching?

I actually wonder whether Lynn knew about Rod's affair back before she drew the "Paul cheats" strips. It would explain a lot. Rod and Nancy Vincent were old friends...Susan and Paul were old friends... Hell, maybe it was even her way of telling Rod she knew. Maybe she even saw it coming. I doubt Lynn has or will ever tell the whole truth about that situation (as is her right).

It would be hilarious if we saw Liz get a letter from Susan, saying she'd dumped Paul and now he was going around, getting his chest waxed and hitting on high school girls.

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but she certainly seems to isolated mentally. This is what happens when you surround yourself with people who only tell you what you want to hear and angrily discount dissenting opinions.

Wow is this comment about Lynn Johnston or Britney Spears?

7:59 AM  
Blogger howard said...

aprilp_katje,

From the context in the article, I have the impression that the polling of clients occurred before the idea of the hybrid was ever introduced. So the options would have been "the strip ends" vs. "reruns from the beginning, in chronological order." Then Lynn decided upon the hybrid. Which has been made of fail.

The wording in the article is awkward, but I can see that interpretation. Just out of curiosity, what is the very first strip, so I will know when we have officially started rerunning from the start?

Lynn's premise about having invented a fantasy-Rod sounds an awful lot like what Liz wrote in one of her letters regarding having supposedly invented Paul. Hm.

Liz's Letter, March 2007
Warren is a really nice guy. We have fun when we're together, but I'm not ready to have a "relationship" right now. He was right, I guess, to dump me into the middle of what should have been obvious. I made Paul up. Everything I thought would happen was a fantasy. Susan is right for him. I don't hate him or her. I just hate the hurting.

9:02 AM  
Blogger howard said...

DreadedCandiru2

Sooner or later, she'll make a half-hearted admission that she never knew who he was in the first place and say that she's moved on to better things. Things like yelling at people who disagree with her.

Like this:
Liz's Letter, May 2007
Life's starting to sort itself out again. I'm feeling better about Paul and I breaking up; Gary was right - I did expect Paul to transplant himself to an unfamiliar place, and I can see now that it was not likely to work out. It would have been nice if he'd ended it more gently, but c'est la vie - life is messy. And life goes on - I have my own place, I have Shiimsa, I've got my career and my family is close by. Things are good.

9:02 AM  
Blogger howard said...

qnjones,

Would Francie be turned into a bland Patterclone by the loving attention of Liz? Or would she be cast as an outsider who keeps the Pattercaine family from being perfectly harmonious?
I have a pretty good idea where this one would go from the way the Sobinskis and Kelpfroths have been handled. Thérèse would arrive from time-to-time and display 7 different shades of evil, to which Liz would compare favorably. On each of these occasions, the arrival of Thérèse would be preceded by a family difficulty with Françoise, which would be solved, not with any good parenting technique, but simply by virtue of the fact that Liz is not Thérèse. Aside from these moments, Françoise would not have any part in the strip.

Not to mention, will Liz give up her "true calling" of teaching?
I am pretty curious about this one too. Elly has spent 28 years going on about the importance of employment in addition to motherhood, and certainly Deanna went back to work at the first opportunity after her kids were born. I would be surprised if Liz gave it up.

I actually wonder whether Lynn knew about Rod's affair back before she drew the "Paul cheats" strips.
There is a lot about Paul and Liz which mimicked Lynn and Rod. Paul is like Rod Johnston, if he refused to move from Lynn Lake to Corbeil. Lynn’s expressed feelings about Lynn Lake matched those of Elizabeth’s about Mtigwaki, pretty closely. If I recollect correctly, Rod agreed to take on the young Aaron, if Lynn agreed to take on Lynn Lake. Ultimately they moved to Corbeil effectively ending that agreement.

9:06 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Anonymous,

Wow is this comment about Lynn Johnston or Britney Spears?
As long as Lynn Johnston doesn’t start running around in short skirts and no underwear, I will be happy.

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My guess: Liz would nominally keep her job, but would never be seen in a classroom again, a la Dee and the pharmacy.

Because of the Liz/Paul strips, I suspect Lynn knew something was up for a long time before April 2007.

I cannot get the image of Rod Johnston waxing his chest out of my mind. ::shudder::

9:23 AM  
Blogger howard said...

qnjones,

My guess: Liz would nominally keep her job, but would never be seen in a classroom again, a la Dee and the pharmacy.
Unless…Lynn Johnston wanted to moralize on some point relevant to school, like the last school appearance with Liz, where Lynn wanted to point out that rap musicians do not use proper grammar.

Because of the Liz/Paul strips, I suspect Lynn knew something was up for a long time before April 2007.
I agree with you. When you get right down to it, cheating husbands or boyfriends have long been a theme of this strip.

I cannot get the image of Rod Johnston waxing his chest out of my mind. ::shudder::
Now you’ve done it. I started thinking about the same thing.

9:57 AM  
Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

As long as Lynn Johnston doesn’t start running around in short skirts and no underwear, I will be happy.

If we keep up like this, we'll give Elly and John's worries about 'bad' information coming from the evil internets credibility:)

10:28 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Howtheduck, the very first strip in the very first collection features John, Elly, baby Liz (in John's arms) and Michael (holding Elly's hand and holding a not-yet-Super-teddy) approaching a store that is having a "fabulous mattress sale." The second of two panels shows all four lying on their backs, side-by-side across one mattress/boxspring set. John's head is raised, and he is telling a salesman, "We'll take it!"

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home