Friday, May 25, 2007

April Gone Crazy

Today’s For Better or For Worse was quite surprising. When Lynn Johnston had April feel guilty about wishing to not move and then a tree fell on the new house, I was convinced this was a one strip aberration, particularly since the next strip jumped to Mike, Deanna and John. Now we have Eva in bed with April with some Hot Spudz (one letter away from a majour male fantasy), and unbelievably, Lynn Johnston is going to make April’s bizarre belief that she can pray a curse on something into a plot point for a strip. If this storyline does not end tomorrow with Eva hugging on the crazed April in an effort to restore hef to normal, I am going to really worry about Lynn Johnson.

It’s one thing for Warren Blackwood, and John Patterson and Mike Patterson to say “Whoa!”. It’s one thing for Paul Wright to be shown as a cheater. It’s one thing for Liz Patterson to turn into a deeply depressed woman who gives up on relationship; but if April continues to pursue the idea that her prayer attracted the attention of the Almight, and He granted her wish with no consequences, then I will have to say to Lynn Johnston, here is a plotline I never expected. It’s too bad you had to completely change April’s character to do it.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Since tomorrow's Sunday, I fear we pick up where we left off on Monday--and we might be in for a week of April feeling guilty over her age-inappropriate magical thinking. Hello, therapy! Hello, meds!

5:41 AM  
Blogger howard said...

At least it would be an unexpected plotline. If you had asked me if I thought Lynn Johnston would spend 2 weeks showing Grandpa Jim in therapy, I would say, "Absolutely." If you had said that the house-switching between John and Mike could be accomplished in a matter of days, I would say, "Certainly." But if you had told me that April would believe she had the ability to pray a curse on a house so a tree fell on it, and she would actually tell a close friend about that crazy thought, I would have said, "No way!"

I look forward to the story, even if it makes no sense, for no other reason than it is a completely different direction than I would have ever guessed. It's been a long time since I have not been able to predict For Better or For Worse.

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home