Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Speech Therapy and Whatever Happened to Nancy Vincent?

I did finally take the time to look up speech therapy exercises and found this website with speech therapy worksheets for exercises.
http://www.bungalowsoftware.com/speech_therapy_worksheets.htm#pictureid
After I looked at them, it became clearer what Lynn Johnston is trying to do with this sequence for Grandpa Jim. She is taking different speech therapy exercises and trying to make a joke using each one. In this fashion, the strip will be cut out and put on the bulletin boards of speech therapists across the world.

The problems with her narrative form are these:

1. Lynn has arranged so her strip operates in real-time, which means that it has been 8 months since Jim’s stroke in late September, 2006. However, Lynn is ignoring that, and presenting Jim’s speech therapy almost as if this was one of his first sessions. As I look through the website’s list of exercises, there are some fairly complicated exercises, Jim should be able to do for comprehension, particularly considering we have been shown Jim has not lost anything in actual comprehension, just in auditory expression.
2. The speech therapy sequence of exercises are zipped out one after the other due to the limited number of panels available, as if Lynn has a quota for how many exercises she need to include for the strip sequence.
3. Lynn didn’t pull this same stunt with the physiotherapy. It actually seemed appropriate considering Jim has been shown to progress from no movement, to minimal movement, to being able to handle a walker, to working on using a cane.

Kate Johnston joined the staff at For Better or For Worse, and so it made me wonder what had happened. Here is what I have noticed, and of course, the mistress of continuity aprilp_katje can tell me what I have missed.

1. Nancy Vincent, who used to be in charge of both the For Better or For Worse office and its promotion side business Entercom Canada, Inc is gone.
2. In Nancy’s place over at Entercom Canada, Inc, is Robert Kuenzlen, C.I.M.
3. Nancy’s position is gone completely on the For Better or For Worse side, but Kate Johnston has been added.
4. I notice that Entercom Canada, Inc., which used to say it was a business which could promote other business than For Better or For Worse, is now strictly a business promoting For Better or For Worse. I don’t see the stuff about promoting Rod Johnston’s train business anymore on the website for Entercom Canada, Inc. I wonder if this was the issue which was causing problems for Nancy Vincent.
5. One of my pet theories for the hybrid was that if Lynn Johnston retired completely, her staff would have to find new jobs. I wonder if the shift in Entercom’s direction is due to the announcement of the hybrid. Now, no longer do the Lynnions have to pretend to do things other than with For Better or For Worse, since their future is assured.

Here’s to you, Nancy Vincent, wherever you are!!

7 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Have I been demoted from "goddess" to "mistress"? ;)

No corrections from me--I hadn't done any delving into Entercom or its connection to/possible disconnection from FBoFW. Good sleuthing, continuity master.

3:54 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Oh no!! I have offended the goddess by using a different name!!! Please forgive me, oh goddess!! I was just wondering if you had spotted anything where they did a farewell party for Nancy Vincent or anything like that? I don't remember seeing it.

6:36 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

I'm not offended. :)

I haven't noticed anything about a farewell party for Nancy Vincent, which is a little surprising. Makes me wonder about the back story. Nancy: feel free to join us at ARB. If you could hook us up with Aaron, we could have a snarking bonanza!

10:06 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Nancy has been with Lynn for years, so I am surprised she is gone with no mention. I would send an e-mail to Stephanie van Doleweerd and ask, but she only responded to me the one time and never since. Perhaps a certain continuity goddess can ask the question, assuming you and Stephanie are still buddies.

1:09 PM  
Blogger howard said...

While browsing for Nancy Vincent, I found this article about Canadore College alumni who work for Lynn Johnston

http://www.canadorec.on.ca/Life/Alumni/loader.cfm?url=/commonspot/security/getfile.cfm&pageid=14245

As near as I can tell, every member of her staff, except for Allison Zadorozny and now, Kate Johnston are Canadore alums. Allison Zadorozny is the only person on Lynn’s staff who joined Dr. Rod Johnston in his Community Waterfront Friends project. See:
http://www.waterfrontfriends.org/mod.php?mod=userpage&page_id=17&menu=20

What I find very intriguing is that that Dr. Rod Johnston was the Canadore College Director of the Dental Program from 1984 – 1987 and Nancy Vincent, graduated from Canadore College with a degree in Dental Hygiene from 1978. It’s interesting that while the other Canadore graduates had degrees related to what they do on For Better or For Worse, Nancy didn’t and she has definite ties to Rod Johnston’s field.

There was a story long ago, about the pretty hygienist Dr. John Patterson hired instead of the more qualified one. I wonder if Nancy worked for John before she worked for Lynn.

1:41 PM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

I wonder if Nancy worked for John before she worked for Lynn.

Heh--See what you did there? ("John" instead of "Rod.") In one of her e-mails, Stephanie told me that this happens to Rod on a regular basis. :)

Speaking of Stephanie--my e-mails go unanswered more often than not these days. At one point, I wrote to inquire whether my questions/comments had become unwelcome, and she responded that they had not, but indicated that her work volume had increased to such a degree that she couldn't respond as often as she used to.

I kind of suspect she'd pass on answering about Nancy Vincent. She won't even respond to my questions about why Liz's date of birth was retconned from 1980 to 1981, and why Liz spent five years in university. And the questions never show up on Q & Eh, though such pressing issues as whether Mike's book exists in real life ("Unfortunately not" [!]) manage to appear there.

Interesting connections with that college. (I'm not able to access the URLs because they are cut off on the right margin.)

3:38 PM  
Blogger howard said...

I knew I was going to get Rod and John confused eventually.

I'll try to break these out with line breaks so they fit in the margins:

http://www.canadorec.on.ca/Life
/Alumni/loader.cfm?url=/commonspot/security/
getfile.cfm&pageid=14245

and

http://www.waterfrontfriends.org/
mod.php?mod=userpage&page_id=17&menu=20

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home