Saturday, January 13, 2007

Even Through My Tears, I Pun

It was a busy day today. The car battery went down as I was taking my kids to school, and my wife is currently in Memphis, so I had no backup. So, I spent quite a bit of time waiting for my car to be towed and fixed, so I could pick up my kids in time for school.

After that, we went to see Happily N’Ever After, an awful movie, with computer animation that looked like it had been taken from the 1980s. I was really glad I had knocked out my Constable Paul Wright snark at the beginning of the day.

The thing that struck me about today’s strip was the wordplay in the final column. This was such a stark contrast from the way things ended up in the Eric / Tina / Liz triangle. If you compare those strips with today’s, it makes the old strips seem like a masterpiece. One of things I like to do is read through all the other comments made by commentators, and then try to point out and do something different. In this case, I had Paul Wright realize he had made the right decision to leave Liz, when she dropped this little ditty in the middle of what should have grief and loss.

As for Michael Patterson, aprilp_katje mentioned casually that Mike and John had an "I told you so" song and dance, so naturally I was motivated to quote "I told you so" lines and rhyme them together.

Tomorrow, Sunday and Monday’s strips:

Liz works out her grief with Vivian, who basically tells her that everyone knew and nobody told her, in other words, they approve of Paul and Susan, and probably never approved of Liz and Paul. Gary takes it even further by giving Liz credit for bringing Paul and Susan together. It’s pretty insulting, but also well within the characters of Vivian and Gary. I read back through the old Gary and Vivian strips, and they go on and on about Mtigwaki culture and how wonderful life is there. However, I love the fact Gary quotes the Liz line about how it was “meant to happen” in talking about Susan and Paul. In the meantime, it ris idiculous that a woman who has spent much of her life in a place where it snows, doesn’t know how to handle boots

3 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

However, I love the fact Gary quotes the Liz line about how it was “meant to happen” in talking about Susan and Paul. In the meantime, it ris idiculous that a woman who has spent much of her life in a place where it snows, doesn’t know how to handle boots.

Wha? I'm lost--did you see a sneak preview of upcoming strips?!?!

5:32 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Ah, never mind--I found the links at Foobiverse. :)

5:41 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Sorry, I probably should have mentioned where I was seeing those strips.

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home