Sunday, December 24, 2006

‘Twas the Night Before Christmas, or the Day Before That or the Day After—Whatever!!

Today’s strip in For Better or For Worse definitely falls into the category of happening in another universe. Seeing tomorrow’s strip for Monday, there is no way Sunday would fit into the continuity, particularly considering we see Merrie and Robin both being placed into the sleeper sofa and that is not where they are sleeping in Sunday’s strip.

Today’s strip was pretty benign and actually somewhat of a slice-of-life kind of strip. My son, when he was young, could sleep anywhere. He could sleep on top of a bed of hard plastic toys, which left indentations on his face and hands. So, I found it quite believable Merrie could fall asleep on the floor waiting for Santa. As such, it was difficult to give it a good snarking, aside from making fun of it not fitting into the storyline continuity.

As for me and my family, we are Christmasing at home for the first time in years. Normally we would drive to Texas and spend a week there visiting my wife’s relatives, but last year we did that and had a miserable time. So, this year we opted to stay home. It actually worked out well, because my kid’s church kids choir did their big production on Christmas Eve, and they would not have been able to participate had it not been for staying home. We had responsibilities only during 3 of the 6 Christmas Eve services held throughout the day at my church, so we felt we got off pretty lightly today.

Tomorrow is Christmas. As I think back over the year I realize I am quite fortunate to be a part of April’s Real Blog, an on-line community which is extraordinarily kind to each other and consists of a number of very talented and very funny writers, hosted by our incredibly consistent aprilp_katje. I count my blessings to be a part of it, and I wish you and all of yours a very merry Christmas.

4 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Thanks, howtheduck! I feel incredibly fortunate to have devoted regulars who bring ARB to life with their characters. I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday. :)

Even though my son was extremely excited about Santa Claus's impending visit, he's still little enough that he's actually asleep, at 7:45 AM on Christmas! The prezzies are still waiting under the tree, as is the note that Santa left him. We expect this is going to be the last year before obscenely early Christmas rising begins. ;)

4:49 AM  
Blogger howard said...

My kids didn't get me up until 8ish. They like to sleep late now, which I view as a sign of heading toward teenaged life. Scary!

12:06 PM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

My little guy woke at around 8:30. He's had a great day! :)

3:45 PM  
Blogger howard said...

My son declared it to be his best Christmas ever, and really, considering how our Christmases in the past have involved driving 20 hours to Texas, I would have to agree.

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home