Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The Trial of Howard Part II (Anthony’s Deposition)

Today in For Better or For Worse, we apparently saw Anthony and Elizabeth, who after visiting with the Crown attorney, decided to visit the police together to give their depositions. I also got a visit from my anonymous Canadian Law advisor in yesterday's comments. Since the advisor is anonymous, I don’t know if it is the same legal advisor I had almost a year ago, when I was thrashing through what Howard should do legally. Even if it is not, I appreciate the help, because going through Canadian law websites is tedious work.

According to my advisor, neither Anthony or Elizabeth should be seeing the Crown attorney before the trial, so the whole situation with him telling them about the delay in the trial is still ridiculous. With today’s strip, I was thrashing about trying to figure out what was going on, only to find out in tomorrow’s strip, it was just Anthony and Elizabeth giving their depositions. My anonymous legal advisor did not use the term “deposition”, but “oral statement” and a quick Google around shows that a number of on-line Canadian legal dictionaries have the word “deposition” but the connection between “oral statement, police, and Toronto” gets me credible hits in articles about law, whereas deposition did not. I found a few that indicated deposition was a United States law practice and not Canadian. I hope my anonymous legal advisor will correct me, if I am wrong about this one.

As I was glancing at the For Better or For Worse website, the 4th birthday for Merrie Patterson popped up. I looked at the monthly letters to see if Deanna had done her usual kid birthday plans in her letter, since Michael almost never mentioned it. Guess what? Not a mention in either letter. So, I decided to leverage off of the mysterious Jason Fox post a few days ago, talking about Deanna using a Linux operating system in her replacement robot double (a running plot based on the Stepford Wives and parts of Deanna’s September, 2006 monthly letter), to create a situation to actually explain why Deanna’s October monthly letter failed to say anything about birthdays this time around. I don’t know what is the hot thing for small kids to do in Toronto, so I went with Chuck E. Cheese, which is in the Toronto-area, and was very popular with my kids when they were smaller.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right. "Deposition" is an American term that isn't used in Canada. And why is there an audiotape machine on the table when the statement is being videotaped? And why aren't there two police officers at the table? And why is the officer in uniform? And why would the chairs be bolted down?

This is annoying. All Lynn had to do was telephone the police or the Crown attorney's office (or any defence lawyer, for that matter) to get some accurate information.

7:37 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Once again, thank you for the information.

I follow all your questions except the one about the officer being in uniform. Would an officer at a police station not be in uniform, or is taking an oral statement a duty normally performed by plain clothes police in Ontario?

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The statements would be taken by plainclothes detectives at the station.

8:26 PM  
Blogger howard said...

Thanks again for the information. I hope to hear more from you when they actually get to the trial in the strip.

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home