Sunday, October 22, 2006

Reading Thought Balloons

Today’s For Better or For Worse was actually pretty nice. Not having strained humour in it really helps. The characters I write mainly concentrated on including reading thought balloons or mind-reading or hugging in their postings. Only Jeremy Jones really snarked the strip by the use of his unusual dreams, involving himself in the role of Grandpa Jim and April in the role of Iris. My posts today were a little risqué. Jeremy’s dream stopped just short of saying he was having a sex dream involving April, but I hope that was obvious what he was substituting for “hug”. Howard mentioned giving a shamp-Oh to Becky and reading her thought balloons, but restrained himself from repeating what would have also been a sexually charged thought. And then of course, Constable Paul Wright and Susan Dokis were skinny-dipping. I guess I must have been in a mood, when I was writing those up.

Tomorrow’s strip: Since we are continuing on with “Live With Jim and Iris”, I think it is safe to assume that the Gym/Jam storyline will start just before Halloween next week, and then may continue on for awhile, but my guess is only a week. They have to show the Gym/Jam setup, 4Evah getting cheered and Becky’s band getting booed because Becky is obnoxious. That should only take a week. What I am hoping for is the reappearance of Jeremy Jones, to see if Lynn draws him like a 40-year-old man again.

Then after that, Lynn needs to pop in a Michael sequence talking about his book, before returning back to the Howard Bunt trial, where after a series of extremely inaccurate legal procedures, Howard Bunt will be given a life sentence for pulling on Liz’s shirt. We can’t go too far into December, because we have to have the Liz / Paul breakup over Christmas and Anthony’s proposal to Liz at New Years. The rest of the year, could be quite fast-paced, if my predictions are right.

4 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Jeremy’s dream stopped just short of saying he was having a sex dream involving April, but I hope that was obvious what he was substituting for “hug”.

Oh, yes--totally got that. Hilarious. :)

4:26 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Excellent. I actually like the Iris and Grandpa interplay, since they have been pretty much ignored for long while, but the storyline has sure killed the ARB participation. It has cut my audience to an audience of one, but I am glad that audience got the joke. I should expect nothing less from the continuity goddess.

6:50 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

I think Lynn might be going out of her way to kill our snark!

4:28 PM  
Blogger howard said...

This is a mixed bag for me. When Lynn writes things well or at least decently, the snark drops to a standstill, because then we are left with nitpicking. On the other hand, it means she is writing something well, which means the material is less frustrating and more enjoyable.

I remember when she did the pow-wow strips which were very accurate, although a bit dull. In ARB, we were straining to find something to say, but I still enjoy looking back at those strips as one of the high points of art and writing over the last year.

There have been some medical inaccuracies in this stroke plot, but it has resonated with many of the FOOBiverse readers, who have been through similar things. This may be the "pow-wow" quality strip of this year.

Not to worry, we will soon be back to the Howard Bunt trial, which will be a snarkfest. In the meantime, enjoy the best Lynn has to offer.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home