Sunday, October 22, 2006

Brrr!

It was a lonely day in the ARBiverse. Not even an April post. I had tried to work my April / Jeremy magnum opus from the prior day into the events of today’s strip, because I was struck by the fact that the strip makes it look like Jim is leaving in the middle of the night, with no accompanying hospital personnel aside from the mysterious HandiVan, which I found highly suspicious. So when April returned home, her mother was not there, but was helping to move Grandpa Jim. aprilp_katje didn’t seem to pick up on that, or she ignored it, or she fell asleep reading my long April / Jeremy story. I don’t know. I suspect the sleeping part.

Howard’s snark was basically to show what a loving family would actually do to support Iris after she spent 3 weeks in the hospital with Jim, i.e. she is exhausted and the likelihood that she remembers what some P.T. showed her how to handle Jim while in the hospital when doing it by herself for the first time is remote. I know the purpose of the strip is to show how wonderful and supportive Iris is, but it also makes the mistake of not showing how wonderful and supporting Elly or Phil is, once they get Jim home. I had written many stories of Howard working for Jim and Iris, so his character fit the situation very well.

Constable Paul Wright’s snark is more of a Susan Dokis focus, trying to establish the roots of the relationship that will eventually end his relationship with Liz, because we know that even if Liz is caught in bed messing around with Anthony, it will be Paul’s inappropriate actions with Susan that end the relationship.

Jeremy Jones’s snark was mainly to point out yet another series of medical inaccuracies, which I will admit I cribbed off of the_berserker’s very informative FOOBiverse’s Journal post.

Michael Patterson’s snark was mainly on the issue of the predictive monthly letters. Tomorrow’s Sunday colour strip, which matches the daily strip sequence, is a pretty good indication of why the monthly letters matched the October strip action so well. Apparently someone made the decision to synchronize the dailies and the Sunday, and I suppose everyone in the Corbeil office was aware of what was going on in October as a consequence. So, then you get monthly letters that pretty much “spoil” the whole month of October in the strips. I am not sure if I prefer that to the usual monthly letters which seem like the author has not even read the strips.

Tomorrow’s strip: Not too bad a strip I think and I loved the silent ultimate panel. I really like strips that follow on into the Sunday colour strips. The masters of the comic strip genre have used them very effectively to build on detail that you can’t put into the dailies, and this strip reminded me of the good old days of For Better or For Worse.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

I was trying to post last night, but Blogger wouldn't let me. :(

I didn't so much ignore/not notice Elly not being home because she was helping with moving Jim as not really think of anything to do with it. Probably because, as I noted at Foobiverse, I hadn't noticed her presence in that strip until I read through it a second time to write the blog entry. My routine goes like this:

1. Read the strip.

2. Catch up on the previous night's comments.

3. Write the blog entry, by having the strip open on the top of my screen and Blogger on the bottom so I can quote/describe the strip.

So, when I read Jeremy's reference to Elly not being there, at first it confused me. "Why is he placing Elly at the hospital?" Then, reading the strip: "Oh."

By the time I got to April mentioning her adventure with Jeremy, I guess I'd pretty well forgotten about Elly. April got home pretty late, she'd been "hott" for a very brief time, and Elly not being home was the least of her concerns? ;)

4:32 AM  
Blogger howard said...

I am encouraged you didn't fall asleep during the long-winded Jeremy/April adventure post. Sorry blogger was beating up on you. I should have known my continuity goddess would try to post.

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home