Thursday, August 03, 2006

Gerald's Mom Wants Quiet

When my dad was married to his second wife, whom he refers today by the B-word, I had for a brief time 2 step-sisters whose attitude and discipline reflected that of their mother's attention, i.e. they were completely out of control. I discovered very quickly if was to tolerate a visit with them, I would need to do something to get them under control, and my solution was candy, usually a candy that took a long time to eat, like one of those incredibly long straws filled with flavoured sugar. I think Gerald's mom has uncovered that same secret. Having allowed the band to rehearse at her house, an act which, according to the strip and the monthly letters, has occurred on a regular basis for the last 3 years, even though we have only actually seen the band rehearse at the Patterson house; Gerald's mom suddenly realizes the band is loud. I always enjoy it, when a strip goes a good distance from their established history in order to make a joke. Yes, good humour is worth the loss of continuity.

Anyway, the strip afforded Mike Patterson and Shannon Lake, really little material, so I didn't put anything in from them. Since aprilp_katje opted to skip over the psychedelic part of the strip, I had Jeremy Jones put in a dream sequence. Constable Paul Wright mainly remarked on qnjones' Liz comments from the day before. Then qnjones, I presume, launched into cat-related snark from other comic strips, and I added a few of my own, for good measure. The cat snark, allowed me to take Howard and Becky to the Cruikshank farm to finish snarking John and April's farm-related remarks in their monthly letters. And that was about it for the day.

Tomorrow's strip: Gerald and April kiss for the first time this year and for the first time since the grade 8 grad. It would be a more tender farewell, if the two of them had any kind of relationship this year aside that wasn't group dates or having lunch together. As it is, it is a little jarring. As for the Facts of Life, let's remember what they are:

You take the good,
You take the bad,
You take them both and there you have the facts of life.
The facts of life.

There's a time you gotta go and show
You're growin' now,
You know about the facts of life.
The facts of life.

When the world never seems,
To be living up to your dreams.
And suddenly you're finding out,
The facts of life are all about you.
All about you.
You-u-u-u,
A-ll about you.

It takes a lot to get em right,
But you're learnin the facts of life.
Learnin the facts of life.
Learnin the facts of life.
Learnin the facts of li-fe.

4 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

LOL! Great minds think alike--as you'll see, April quotes the theme song, too. I should have checked your blog entry first, as I couldn't think of all the lyrics. :)

No psychedelic commentary for me, since I read the B/W version at the Chron!

4:18 AM  
Blogger howard said...

B/W is fine, but sometimes the coloured version adds a little something. The strip was actually better psychadelic.

As for The Facts of Life, I couldn't think of any reason April would say such a ridiculous thing than she was channeling TV Land or wherever shows The Facts of Life these days.

7:19 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

B/W is fine, but sometimes the coloured version adds a little something.

Or subtracts a few legs. ;)

5:45 PM  
Blogger howard said...

The obliterations are the annoying part. True.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home