Saturday, May 20, 2006

Victoria Day weekend

I wasn’t sure if we would get any Victoria Day celebration stuff in For Better or For Worse outside of the website, which was delightfully ambiguous with its “Enjoy Your Holiday” picture of Edgar sleeping. I guess Lynn figures that, given quite a bit of her audience are from the States, she doesn’t want to confuse us with Canadian holidays, except where it matches the States’. Honestly, I don’t know why she does that. After all, if she has any audience overseas, they won’t care if she does something with Victoria Day or not. And if she did do something, it would make the strip seem even more Canadian. But it’s hard to say. This isn’t a gag-a-day strip, where such things are easy to fit in. As a storyline strip, she has to ignore some things. The fact she also ignored Iris’ birthday, after doing a week-long series on Jim’s birthday, tells you exactly where Iris stands. She stands right there with Queen Victoria.

Tomorrow’s strip shows Edgar and Dixie enjoying their holiday by tearing up the yard and getting a bath. Today’s strip however, was Dr. John Patterson angst over being caught for speeding. If he hadn’t been caught, people wouldn’t be passing him with hand-gestures and saying, “Hoot.” I don’t think John would have any regret over speeding, if he hadn’t been caught, given the way he is thinking about it.

It was a busy day today at the house. The Mrs. had 2 home shows, and the kids had music lessons, and then we went to see Over the Hedge at the theatre. Home shows for Homemade Gourmet, the product line my wife sells, means she is on the computer most of the day after the show processing orders and the like. So I tried to sneak in a few messages here and there, but it was difficult to get any in. This was not too disturbing for me, because most of my characters had already commented on Dr. John Patterson’s arrest yesterday. However, weekends are the only time now where I can get any kind of old-style April’s Real Blog character interaction, so I hate it when I miss it. Tomorrow is looking similarly busy, but we will see.

4 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Considering the strip's history, I think it's a shame when Lynn shies away from distinctly Canadian content. Why go to the trouble to resist when the syndicate initially tried to have Lynn set the strip in the U.S., only to end up trying to be universal?

1:08 PM  
Blogger howard said...

I agree. I think a Victoria Day strip with fireworks at the end and the whole Patterson clan together discussing what a wonderful person the old queen was, would be a nice strip. Particularly if they could compare Mira Sobinski to Queen Victoria.

3:17 PM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

And since Sundays are one-off anyway, I don't see the harm of devoting one to such a celebration--this wouldn't cut into any longterm story arcs LJ has planned, and nor, I suspect, would anyone miss having another animal strip.

4:15 PM  
Blogger howard said...

The whole animal strip had this feel of, "A lot of pictures that we plan to use for family albums". I enjoyed seeing the dogs having a good time. They are the only happy people in the strip, after all. But it would have been nice to have something uniquely Canadian. Even on Veteran's Day, the U.S. flag was shown flying.

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home