Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Meanwhile, Back in the Days Before Car Seats

In today’s reprint in For Better or For Worse, we see young Michael Patterson, who is 6-years-old in the redo version of the strip and was 5-years-old in the original publication, sitting in the front seat with only a seat belt to protect him. Although the strip is ostensibly to show how much Elly appreciates Michael’s wish that he could make her feel better, judging from the last panel, with Elly pulling young Michael Patterson out of his seat and across her chest while she is driving, I think that perhaps the true purpose of the strip is to demonstrate the need for a car seat for young Michael.

However, I am showing the car seat bias of my country. As near as I can tell from an internet search, Canadian child safety seat laws are a lot less stringent than those of the United States. According to the internet search, in Canada parents and guardians are required to use child safety seats for toddlers (0-18 kg). Since Michael is supposed to be 6 years old and the average weight for a 6-year-old boy is about 21 kg, it is legal for Michael not to be in a car seat. For my purposes, I did check to see about the availability of car seats back in 1979. I found this history and this history and this history.

Even in the United States, back in 1979, the use of car seats was not nearly as prevalent as it is today, but they were available. I remember my childhood in the 1960s, when I used to ride in the back window of the car or in the floor board. I loved those times. In the back window, I could look at the stars and listen to the radio, because the speaker was right by my head. In the floorboard was where the heater was, and it was the warmest place in the car on days when it was cold. Of course, looking at the history of car seats, I realize now that I was one of the fortunate kids who did not end up in a car accident, which would have surely killed me being in either of those positions. Car seats dramatically decreased the number of deaths of children in cars, just as the introduction of seat belts cut the number of automobile deaths for adults by a very high percentage.

Looking at Michael in the final panel, I want to caption his thoughts. I think they must be:

a. Can’t breathe. Can’t breathe!
b. Yikes! I wish I could make you smell better.
c. Look out for that truck!
d. Both hands on the wheel, dammit!
e. I guess I’m going to get sick too! Thanks, mom!
f. I like it when she screams at me more than this.

14 Comments:

Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

There's another thing wrong with the strip: Mike shouldn't be up front with Elly at all. Even in Canada, the general consensus is that kids under twelve belong in the rear; this means that we should have had a new-ruin with the same dialogue but with a different setting: Mike and Elly putting coats away after they got home. It would be just as fridge-worthy and not make me think we were about to watch a PSA about road safety.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Page 103 of One-More-Washload Blues: no seatbelts.

Today's strip: seatbelts.

Someone has spoken to Lynn and reminded her that certain strips are not timeless.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Clio said...

I am glad I grew up before the days of stringent child safety laws. Obviously I was lucky, but also I got carsick in the back seat all the time.

As for this strip, Elly is inflicting unwanted and uncomfortable physical affection on her kid while she's supposed to be driving. Mike's realizing his appeasement strategy didn't turn out that well after all. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, Mikey; best to shut yourself in the attic.

1:59 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Mike was also six in the original run; as one of the Cawfee Squawkers noted from having cut out the strip 29+ years ago, it originally ran in August of 1980, just before Mike started grade one. However, that doesn't make the safety issues much less egregious. As forworse has pointed out, the original did NOT have seatbelts (and GRRR because I've already referenced this in tomorrow's FOOBAR, and I am NOT changing it!).

3:38 AM  
Blogger howard said...

DreadedCandiru2,

There's another thing wrong with the strip: Mike shouldn't be up front with Elly at all. Even in Canada, the general consensus is that kids under twelve belong in the rear;

Was that the general consensus back in 1980? I have a very clear recollection from the times of my own children, that in the United States, putting kids in the rear was a direct reaction to the reintroduction and repopularization of airbags in vehicles, after the airbags inflating killed a few kids sitting in the front. That was in early 1990s.

3:50 AM  
Blogger howard said...

forworse,

Page 103 of One-More-Washload Blues: no seatbelts.
Today's strip: seatbelts.
Someone has spoken to Lynn and reminded her that certain strips are not timeless.


Well that explains why those belts look so awkward. Even back in 1980, no seat belts would have gotten some comments. The only people I knew back during that time who didn’t wear seat belts were my grandparents, who had grown up with automobiles that didn’t have them, and their grandkids nagged them constantly about it.

3:51 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Clio,

As for this strip, Elly is inflicting unwanted and uncomfortable physical affection on her kid while she's supposed to be driving. Mike's realizing his appeasement strategy didn't turn out that well after all. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, Mikey; best to shut yourself in the attic.

To me that’s the funniest part of the strip. Instead of it being a “Kids Say the Darnedest Things” moment, it ends with Michael’s tongue lolling out of his mouth from Elly-style affection. You can tell the woman is not used to giving affection, she does it so poorly.

3:52 AM  
Blogger howard said...

aprilp_katje,

Mike was also six in the original run; as one of the Cawfee Squawkers noted from having cut out the strip 29+ years ago, it originally ran in August of 1980, just before Mike started grade one.

I stand corrected. So really the original was pre-grade one, whereas this one is 3 months into grade one.

However, that doesn't make the safety issues much less egregious. As forworse has pointed out, the original did NOT have seatbelts (and GRRR because I've already referenced this in tomorrow's FOOBAR, and I am NOT changing it!).

Ah the terrible trouble with working in advance on material you have not seen, but only suspect is there. It’s almost like being a monthly letter-writer for a Lynn Johnston character.

3:52 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Ooh, howtheduck, check this, from the Ontario Ministry of Transportation:

When should I use a booster seat?

Children under the age of eight, who weigh 18 kg or more but less than 36 kg (40-80 lbs.), and who stand less than 145 cm (57 ins. or 4 ft. 9 ins.) must travel in a booster seat that meets the CMVSS.
When can a child start using a seatbelt alone?

A child can start using a seatbelt alone once any one of the following criteria is met:

* Child turns eight years old
* Child weighs 36 kg (80 lbs.)
* Child is 145 cm (57 ins. or 4 ft. 9 ins.) tall

As a guide, a seat belt may only be used if a child is able to sit with legs bent comfortably over the vehicle seat and with his or her back fully against the back of the vehicle seat. The shoulder belt must lie flat across the child's shoulder and chest, and should not cross over the child's neck. The lap portion of the belt should be positioned low over the hips, not the abdomen.

What is the penalty for non-compliance with the child car/booster seat laws?

Drivers who fail to secure or who improperly secure children may be charged, and if convicted, will be fined $110.00 and have two demerit points applied to their driving record.

5:08 AM  
Blogger howard said...

aprilp_katje,

Your internet searching is superior to mine. I searched on Canadian law for child safety seats, and that stuff about the boosters did not come up. I wonder if there is a difference between Ontario and the other provinces? After all, in the US, the laws vary from state to state.

6:44 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

I wonder if there is a difference between Ontario and the other provinces? After all, in the US, the laws vary from state to state.

Here you go. :)

How can I find out if my province or territory has a booster seat law?

There are seven provinces in Canada that have laws requiring booster seats.

[Summary follows]

7:09 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Linky didn't work. Trying again.

Link

7:10 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Only 7 provinces? Hum. Northwest Territories, Yukon and Nunavut have less than 40K people in them, so I can kind of understand that. But Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan are a little bit of a surprise, especially if Prince Edward Island has laws in effect. Of course, now that I think about this, Lynn Johnston wrote this strip when she was in Lynn Lake, Manitoba.

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe there are still States that don't require booster seats also. Some places are just a little behind... kinda like Lynn.

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home