Monday, November 16, 2009

The Walking Dead

I remember seeing a sequence in one of those old zombie movies, where the live humans go to a shopping mall and see the zombies going through the motions of shopping as if they were re-enacting their former pre-zombie lives. In today’s new-run of For Better or For Worse, I was reminded of that moment seeing Elly going through the motions of doing laundry, even though she looks like she has lost 20 pounds and all her hair from her illness.

Here’s a joke for you: How are zombie Elly Patterson and sick Elly Patterson alike?

Answer: They both are looking for brains.

At least in today's strip, we see a hint of the old style of treating Elly Patterson, where Lynn Johnston would set us up to laugh at Elly's very human nature. I have to admit that I have been known to do work (not laundry) when I was supposed to be in bed resting. I like the fact that this is not a moment where Elly is doing the laundry when she is ill to show how tough she is, or what a great mom she is, or how awful her family is to her. It's not a great strip, but it comes off well compared to some of the awful strips we have seen in the last year.

3 Comments:

Blogger Clio said...

I agree, for once we're not supposed to think Elly is right. I was sort of shocked by it. I think we're supposed to think she's cute, and feel sorry for her, for needing to work all the time, whereas I just think she's annoying. But hey, at least the joke is within the realm of human possibility, and no one's being villainized.

12:01 AM  
Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

Well, we do need to shift to the morals of the straight reprint era at some point; perhaps we'll see a new-ruin that starts with Elly trying to get someone to admit that she's right to mistreat them only to have her realize that she'd finally become her mother and stop.

2:43 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

I remember seeing a sequence in one of those old zombie movies, where the live humans go to a shopping mall and see the zombies going through the motions of shopping as if they were re-enacting their former pre-zombie lives.

Dawn of the Dead! A classic. :)

I love your joke about zombies and Elly both looking for brains, howtheduck. :)

3:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home