Friday, March 13, 2009

Mr. Mom

Mr. Mom was a movie that came out in 1983, so today’s new-run of For Better or For Worse does make a reference to a subject which would not have been known in 1980. Mr. Mom may be the point of origin of the Male As Hapless Doofus school of storytelling. Now it’s everywhere, especially in advertisements for household cleaners. The hidden message is that women can do anything, but give a man a house to keep, and he’ll make an utter fool of himself. And what’s aggravating about this is that it’s a tool that plays on women’s self doubts about their place in the world as a way to sell them stuff. Women have fought hard to make sex a non-issue in their working lives. However, the idea of her husband as a bumbling father and homemaker calls into question a woman’s decision to have a career. As Lynn so aptly had John Patterson put it, "Why should you want to go out and raise consciousness, Elly? When we still need people who can raise kids!"

I would like to think that Lynn Johnston, who is much more successful in her career than most of the people in the world would appreciate the idea that a woman can have a career. And yet this issue shows up in her work over and over again. Although Elly Patterson spent much of her time in the early strips trying to establish something for herself outside of her family, she still emphasized that it was the mother’s primary responsibility to take care of her children. You can see this most clearly in the example of Deanna Patterson, who was the breadwinner in her family, and who also was the one responsible for taking care of her children. Ultimately, when Michael Patterson starts making money, Deanna quits her lucrative job to open a sewing school and destroys any idea that Deanna liked or wanted to be a pharmacist. Deanna is the ideal young, married woman. Thérèse Caine, on the other hand, was vilified for wanting a career and getting her husband to agree to be her child’s primary caregiver. As people often forget about Thérèse, it is not the career that made her evil. It was because she did not want to be the primary person to raise her daughter.

In the case of Elly Patterson, John’s turn as Mr. Mom calls into question whether or not Elly can even take a vacation by herself. The original story put this across pretty well, but the new-runs have upped the ante by adding in the emotional frailty of the children without their mother.

The movie Mr. Mom (1983), although played for laughs, had not only the bumbling father, but the title gave the implication that stay-at-home dads are maternal rather than paternal. Many fathers feel that their contributions are as fathers, equal yet distinct from mothers' contributions. Ted’s point (or Lynn’s through Ted) is that men are becoming more nurturing, becoming more hands-on, and spending more time with their kids. I have the feeling that Lynn doesn’t know that “hands-on” means “active participation as opposed to theoretical”. Likewise “nurturing” is a very feminine term, as it is derived from “nursing” as in providing nourishment. I think Lynn wants men to spend more time with their children, but I don’t think Lynn understands what men bring to the parenting package.

Before I had kids, my wife bought many books on raising children, and occasionally she would hand them to me and point to the one or two pages which addressed fatherhood specifically. I remember one of the books said what a father did that was important. It was:

a. Roughhousing. Both boys and girls can roughhouse with dad without worry. Moms can do this too, but after a certain point it gets difficult, i.e. the kids get too heavy for mom to lift easily. This is definitely the case in my family. I used to swing my son by his knees upside down until he got to the age where he weighed more than 100 pounds. There is no way my wife could have done that.

b. Straight talk. Dad were less likely to use baby-talk than mom, so the kids pick up their language better from the dads. I found this definitely to be true for me, but I can’t say it is true of all men. I am a maven for proper diction thanks to my singing background, and I think it may have tainted me.

c. Tell the daughter she is beautiful. When the girls go through their stage of realizing that looks are important, for some reason they will reject assurances about this from their mothers, but accept them from their dads. Somehow this is important to the girls developing a good self-image. I haven’t gotten to this point yet with my daughter; but I can see it coming.

As for the strip itself, seeing Dr. Ted McCaulay spout this stuff, of all people, reminded me of the strip from last year where Connie Poirier talked about how wonderful it was to be a grandparent. It was like Lynn Johnston had forgotten who Connie was and how she became a grandmother. I had the same feeling when I read Ted’s dialogue today – “We’re all learning how to be hands-on parents!” When did you learn that exactly, Ted? It’s no wonder John Patterson gives him the look that leads to Dr. Ted doing that ancient “family practice” joke as a defence. At least Ted partially redeems himself by calling Elly "the little woman".

As for the art, kudos to Lynn Johnston again. Who’s taller? Dr. Ted or Dr. P? It all depends on what panel you are looking at, because they exchange heights in almost every panel. Speaking of almost every panel: What also looks different in almost every panel? If you guessed Dr. Ted’s head, then you are right. It is different in every single panel. It takes a special talent to be able to do that. If I were drawing it, Dr. Ted would have the same appearance in at least 2 panels. It's too hard to draw him differently every time; but somehow Lynn manages it. She is truly amazing.

There is one obvious error. Ted is on the left. Ted has the short coat. In the panel 3 silhouette, the one with the short coat is on the right. However, the dialogue between the panels makes it clear that Ted is the one saying the dialogue in Panel 3.

23 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

I took that to be John speaking in the third panel. The non-speaking silhouette has the hunched shoulders and short jacket of Ted. That might not make sense based on how they're positioned in the other panels, but we know Lynn hates using erasers. I figure she switched their positions from one panel to another and, if she realized she'd done so, she thought, "I don't care! I don't erase!" Also, the dialogue makes more sense coming from John (despite his never having expressed such sentiments in the original run).

As for Ted's appearance, my first thought was, "Does Lynn even bother to look at the way Ted was drawn in the old collections? Who is this guy?

Also, you'll find the plot thickens in today's FOOBAR.

3:40 AM  
Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

howard,

Thérèse Caine, on the other hand, was vilified for wanting a career and getting her husband to agree to be her child’s primary caregiver. As people often forget about Thérèse, it is not the career that made her evil. It was because she did not want to be the primary person to raise her daughter.

Sadly, that would include me from time to time. It's clear that Lynn honestly believes that women are obliged to be the primary caregivers. I wouldn't have hammered people over the head with the notion by setting someone who just didn't have it in her to be a mother up to be Grendel's kid sister the way she did but her belief is sincere.

I think Lynn wants men to spend more time with their children, but I don’t think Lynn understands what men bring to the parenting package.

For her to do that, she'd be obliged to understand men; trying to figure out what men want or why we do what we do is kinda hard for her to do because her imagination can't stretch too far.

3:43 AM  
Blogger howard said...

aprilp_katje,

That might not make sense based on how they're positioned in the other panels, but we know Lynn hates using erasers. I figure she switched their positions from one panel to another and, if she realized she'd done so, she thought, "I don't care! I don't erase!"

It is John. Looking at it again, I suddenly realize that Lynn Johnston has silhouetted the men walking forward and the positions are unchanged from the prior panel. The problem is not that she got their positions confused. The problem is that her drawing of the men walking forward looks more like men walking backward. She has drawn the leg stepping forward on Ted to be smaller than the leg that is further away, instead of bigger as a leg moving toward you would look.

Also, the dialogue makes more sense coming from John (despite his never having expressed such sentiments in the original run).

I agree the dialogue in panel 3 makes sense coming from John, but the reaction of Dr. Ted in panel 4 doesn’t make much sense unless he is explaining why he said the dialogue in Panel 3. Otherwise Dr. Ted comes off as, “I already know what you were saying because I am in family practice, and I know that you are not really a dad, you are just practicing some ideal.”

As for Ted's appearance, my first thought was, "Does Lynn even bother to look at the way Ted was drawn in the old collections? Who is this guy?

Maybe Lynn Johnston finally realized that 1980s Ted looked a little too much like Schulz’s Shermy, and is experimenting with a different look in every panel.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

A singing background? I'm intrigued. And you said "diction" instead of "enunciation" -- I might just swoon if it didn't mean coming over all girly and whatnot...!

8:29 AM  
Blogger Harley Quinn said...

I found the whole thing to make the strip dated.
These may have been sentiments that made sense in the 1980s, but not in 2009 (nearly 30 years later).
Lynn, if you're going to force us the live through this reruns, then at least update the dialog to be more with the times.
In my family, my mom was the one with the job, Dad was the one who stayed home, and took care of us, until we were in our teens, then Dad went back to work in construction, so I always found the Mr. Mom jokes strange since in my world as a kid, Dad was always the primary caregiver.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Muzition said...

forworse, "diction" is something that singers study.

9:17 AM  
Blogger howard said...

DreadedCandiru2

It's clear that Lynn honestly believes that women are obliged to be the primary caregivers.

I remember my sociology class in university, where the professor listed out all the great truths about every society in the world. One of them was: Women take care of the children. Of course the professor would caveat that not all women take care of the children, but as a societal average they did.

The question is whether or not, just because this is the way things are and have been forever, does it mean it is the way things should be? There is some evidence for it. I have seen studies which seem to prove that girls have a genetic predisposition for wanting to take care of children, and I have seen that in my own daughter. Girls may naturally want to take care of children, but I don’t think that means they are obliged to do so. All you have to do is look at the case of Susan Smith to see the reason why not.

I wouldn't have hammered people over the head with the notion by setting someone who just didn't have it in her to be a mother up to be Grendel's kid sister the way she did but her belief is sincere.

Her belief may be sincere, but surely it could not have been based on her own experience. When she told the story about how her mother abused her, she specifically blamed her father for not stepping up to stop her mom or to be willing to talk about it afterwards. Given that background, you would think she would support the idea that women do not have this obligation to be caregivers, and that some fathers might be better at the job.

For her to do that, she'd be obliged to understand men; trying to figure out what men want or why we do what we do is kinda hard for her to do because her imagination can't stretch too far.

My belief is that all the characters in this strip are Lynn Johnston anymore. Even Ted McCaulay, with his extreme sexist language has lost his edge. Imagine if Lynn were trying to pretend to be a sexist male, and that’s what is coming out of him.

10:45 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Harley Quinn

I found the whole thing to make the strip dated. These may have been sentiments that made sense in the 1980s, but not in 2009 (nearly 30 years later).

Oh, Harley I wish you were right about this. It may not be reality with your family; but the entertainment industry does not agree with you. Here are a few modern examples:

1. "Mr. Mom" by American country music band Lonestar hit #1 on the country chart in 2004.
2. A bestseller in 2007, is the Diary of a Hapless Househusband by Sam Holden.
3. The movies Daddy Day Care in 2003 and Daddy Day Camp in 2007.

There are a lot of people out there who still find the idea of men blundering through taking care of kids to be hysterically funny. Lynn has an audience for this material.

10:46 AM  
Blogger howard said...

forworse,

A singing background? I'm intrigued.

Aside from singing with my church choir, I sing with the Tucson Symphony Orchestra Chorus and occasionally with the Tucson Chamber Artists, when they have a need. I have sung with many other choruses before I moved to Tucson. In my days before having children, I used to do a lot of opera, operetta, and musical theatre.

And you said "diction" instead of "enunciation" -- I might just swoon if it didn't mean coming over all girly and whatnot...!

Technically, enunciation is a part of a singer’s diction; so I wouldn’t necessarily correct someone who used that term. However, most singers I know use the word “diction.” In my collegiate days, I took courses in English, French, German, Italian, and Ecclesiastical Latin Diction. I had to learn Spanish, Hebrew, and Russian diction on-the-job, so to speak. Does that tell you what you wanted to know?

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

c. Tell the daughter she is beautiful.

I hate this advice. Tell your daughter she's smart, accomplished, strong, etc. When girls constantly get praised for their looks, don't see boys praised for their looks, and don't get praised consistently for other things, they end up thinking that what matters is their looks. They get this message enough without their fathers reinforcing it.

My father argued politics with me, played catch with me, watched sports with me, talked about my life with me (as much as I'd tell him as a teenager, heh), and a bunch of other things that told me I was a person whose brain and personality were what's important. Having an involved, caring father is incredibly important to a girls' development, because it teaches her how to have positive relationships with men, and that includes friends, work colleagues, etc.

I've known so many women who were obsessive about how they looked, to the point of really hurting themselves and the people who cared about them. I'm not even talking about anorexia or bulimia (though I've known women and girls with those); I'm talking about things like obsessing over diets, taking an hour in the bathroom to apply makeup every day, competing with other women on terms of looks for male attention. Vanity, in other words. And then what happens when they "lose" those looks that they've been obsessing over? Well, Elly happens.

As for the comic, it is, as usual, dumb and insulting. Good fathers have been "hands-on" for generations, just not always in the same way mothers have.

12:54 PM  
Blogger John F Jamele said...

I'm with you, clio. If you tell your daughter she's beautiful, tell her that as part of a big package of praise that includes, and focuses on, her intelligence, talent, wit, personality, potential, etc. etc. And if you tell her she's beautiful, tell your boy he is handsome, too.

Or better yet, as you say, skip the surface crap and concentrate the praise on the person inside.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Muzition
I've a BMus, major piano and minor in voice. :) I was just happy to see someone say "diction" correctly as so often people say "enunciation" and mean "diction". It's just a pet peeve of mine.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Howard
Thanks for the backgroud -- I was just being nosy! :) I had French, Italian, German and Latin, but not Russian, Spanish or Hebrew, although some of the vocal majors did. Trouble is, I was learning 19th century German and it didn't come in very handy when I moved to Hamburg. I wanted to get a second phone line installed for internet use and my vocabulary included words like "spinning wheel".

1:47 PM  
Blogger howard said...

clio-1,


I'm not even talking about anorexia or bulimia (though I've known women and girls with those); I'm talking about things like obsessing over diets, taking an hour in the bathroom to apply makeup every day, competing with other women on terms of looks for male attention.

Interestingly enough, the book that gave this advice specifically said that if a father compliments his daughter’s appearance, these sorts of things you have described are supposed to be much less likely to happen. The daughter is not supposed to obsess about diet, or makeup, or getting attention from boys, if she has gained self-confidence about her appearance from her own father. The reason was that the father was male, and the compliment came from a safe source (as opposed to some teenaged boy whose motives are questionable).

I don’t believe the book said that fathers should compliment a daughter’s appearance more than or instead of complimenting her on anything else. It said that there was something about this type of compliment that was important for a daughter to get from the father and not from the mother. The list was a list of things that a father brings to parenting that a mother does not bring. I wish I knew where the book was, so I could quote it directly. Presumably both a mother and a father could compliment a daughter on her intelligence, her sense of humour and her accomplishments and have the compliments equally accepted or rejected by the daughter, regardless of which parent gave the compliment.

I don’t really understand the psychology of it, and my daughter is still too young to be worried about such things. On the other hand, my wife has told me stories about her days during junior high school, when she was running track, and thought she was fat, because she compared herself to all the little, skinny, high metabolism, teenaged girls around her. She said that later on in life she realized she was in great shape in junior high and just didn’t have the kind of body those other girls did. I suspect that the point of the fatherly compliment on appearance is to help a daughter deal with this kind of issue.

3:42 PM  
Blogger howard said...

John F Jamele,

And if you tell her she's beautiful, tell your boy he is handsome, too.

I do, and he hates it. Well, not really hates it, but it is more of a “You’re embarrassing me, dad!” kind of thing.

Or better yet, as you say, skip the surface crap and concentrate the praise on the person inside.

Unfortunately, the surface crap is important. At 13, my son is at the point in his life where he needs advice on deodorant and how to deal with pimples.

3:48 PM  
Blogger howard said...

forworse,

I've a BMus, major piano and minor in voice. :) I was just happy to see someone say "diction" correctly as so often people say "enunciation" and mean "diction". It's just a pet peeve of mine.

A pet peeve, eh? Then that is perfectly understandable.

Thanks for the background -- I was just being nosy! :) I had French, Italian, German and Latin, but not Russian, Spanish or Hebrew, although some of the vocal majors did.

My university did not offer Russian, Spanish or Hebrew diction, and I would have found them useful. Over the years, I have sung more Russian choruses than I have sung French ones.

3:49 PM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

I suddenly realize that Lynn Johnston has silhouetted the men walking forward and the positions are unchanged from the prior panel. The problem is not that she got their positions confused. The problem is that her drawing of the men walking forward looks more like men walking backward. She has drawn the leg stepping forward on Ted to be smaller than the leg that is further away, instead of bigger as a leg moving toward you would look.

I had to look again--I'd misread the figures as walking away from us rather than towards us. And I realize it's for the reason you point out--the sizing and positioning of the legs.

Otherwise Dr. Ted comes off as, “I already know what you were saying because I am in family practice, and I know that you are not really a dad, you are just practicing some ideal.”

It's awkwardly written dialogue, for sure. It's like, "Yeah, I know all that, whatever." ;)

4:43 PM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

And final-panel Ted looks like a muppet.

4:45 PM  
Blogger howard said...

aprilp_katje,

And final-panel Ted looks like a muppet.

After Charles Schulz's characters, muppets are Lynn's favourite characters to copy for her art. After them are the mutants, but I don't know Lynn's source material for that.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

After them are the mutants, but I don't know Lynn's source material for that.

Don Martin?

12:00 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Don Martin?

Ooh, could be. :)

6:38 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

April

I do think he was Lynn's inspiration for Pattersnarfing: just start with chomp and read for a few lines. The difference is, his was intended to be funny, not a supposedly real-life situation.

11:52 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

I think you're on to something, forworse. :)

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home