Thursday, October 23, 2008

Playing in the Rain

I wrote this up for the FOOBiverse’s Journal for yesterday’s strip, little suspecting that Lynn Johnston was actually going this way with today’s strip in For Better or For Worse:

Michael: {music swells after Elly and Lizzie leave}

I'm playing in the rain
Just playing in the rain
What a glorious feeling
I'm new-run again
No laughing at clods
I’m intolerant of
No more writing books
Only a mother would love
Let the stormy clouds chase
Mom and sis from the place
Come on with the rain
Smacked a gob off my face
I walk down the lane
Not a single wet stain
From playing,
Playing in the rain

Of course, now I am troubled that Lynn Johnston and I are thinking alike. At least I can take comfort that I didn't write some line about how a boy thinks he is washing his feet by splashing in a puddle.

6 Comments:

Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

howard,

At least I can take comfort that I didn't write some line about how a boy thinks he is washing his feet by splashing in a puddle.

It's less comforting that we can guess what tomorrow's strip will be. I can tell that the joke will be

Elly: "I want you to kill that boy"

John: "Why?"

Elly: "Don't ask questions, just do it!

That's because Elly's unrealistic expectations will have to be enforced while John's more grounded ones set at naught. Forget his nonsense about not disrespecting his parents; Mike has to do the impossible and telling him that he doesn't is undermining Elly's authority.

2:10 AM  
Blogger howard said...

dreadedcandiru2,

I will grant that it is a possibility that Lynn Johnston may write a strip where Elly is upset at young Michael Patterson for getting wet in the rain, the likelihood of her using John Patterson as a means to discipline young Michael is remote, considering the way Lynn Johnston feels about John. If John appears, the strip will be about making him look bad.

6:06 AM  
Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

Of course. John will stand there and "undercut" Elly by tempering her discipline with a nasty, unfair, cruel, male chauvinist evil philosophy called reality. His villainous impulse to oppress her and destroy her creativity will take the form of pointing out that she demands things that are allegedly impossible. She FEELS that Mike can play in the rain without getting wet so he can shove his FACTS up his nether parts.

6:41 AM  
Blogger howard said...

DreadedCandiru2,

I am not sure how Lynn will go with this one. Back in the old days, John would usually agree with Elly but lean over and whisper something conspiratorially to Mike to undercut her. Direct confrontation on those kinds of things back in the old days would usually lead to a shrieking Elly, which no one wanted. It will be interesting to see how Lynn handles it with her new-run focus on John.

9:18 AM  
Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

It will be interesting to see how Lynn handles it with her new-run focus on John.

However she handles it, we can be sure that John will come out the loser.

2:29 PM  
Blogger howard said...

Things that are certain:

1. Death
2. Taxes
3. John Patterson is a loser.

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home