Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Eva the Uninsulted

After criticizing Gerald’s career plans and making a joke about Duncan’s open door policy, Eva Abuya gets away unscathed from the punning eye of April Patterson. Eva likes to sing, but does not plan to be a professional singer, so she has escaped the anti-professional musician wrath April levied against Gerald and Becky. So, instead Eva plans to take general arts as a starting point. I remember back when I was first entering college back in 1980, this was pretty standard advice from a high school counselor (at least from mine). I consider it to be pretty bad advice.

Ironically, at my company, this Thursday is the “Take Your Kids to Work” day. I will be taking both my girl and my boy to see what glorious careers could be awaiting them. I have done this with my kids as soon as they were considered eligible to go. They enjoy it for the free company products they get (i.e. leftover customer giveaways); but I have been impressed in the past with the setups which have been in place to actually help kids decide (or at least be aware) of jobs which closely match their interests. I remember being surprised at how many careers there were with good-paying jobs for person who found art or the arts interesting, many of which were not inherently obvious and also pay pretty well. If I were to speak to Eva, I would suggest talking to a modern career counselor (and not a 60-year-old cartoonist) about which of those careers might interest her, in order to better focus her university choices.

However, if Eva just likes to sing, there is another way. My personal role model was the famous 20th century American Charles Ives. He is known for being a music composer and an insurance salesman. Charles Ives made his money selling insurance and this allowed him the leisure to compose music. In this same fashion, I sing in the Tucson Symphony Orchestra Chorus and in my own church choir, but I do not make a living as a professional singer. My living allows me the luxury of being able to participate in the chorus.

Duncan’s last comment is interesting. People often do end up doing something completely different from anything they planned. One of the main reasons for this is the need to have a job which makes money. Money may not buy happiness, but a good salary certainly keeps happiness close by. One of the primary ways people choose a career is by saying, “Where is the job growth going to be?” and picking a career based on that. When I went to university, the money majors were computers, accounting, pre-med, and business. Computers and pre-med were considered the 2 toughest choices. The president of the Business School at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, at the time, was known for a joke he made, where he thanked the Chemistry (required for pre-med) teacher for the first year students for sending him so many students.

I also enjoy the irony of Duncan’s final statement. So much about For Better or For Worse is about the characters doing something exactly the way they imagined, completely without variation. They have been so exact, it has been painfully predictable and imminently snarkable. Based on this week’s strips I could see Duncan Anderson as a travel agency owner who dabbles in organizing worldwide sporting events, helped out by his wife Eva, who sings the National Anthem at those sporting events, when she is not raising their children. April is going to be a veterinarian, living in Milborough, married to Gerald, with 2 children of her own, and 1 from Gerald’s first marriage. Eva and April have nothing to fear of the unknown with Lynn Johnston at the helm.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least Eva knows that, no matter what happens, she should not try to sing professionally. Oh no. Even if you feel singing is a calling, you should not consider making music your career. Music is a career for evil people who want to miss out on what's important in life. Like staying in Milborough, eating casseroles, and popping out babies.

I think you are right about Duncan and Eva's futures. And you know, they will owe it all to John and Elly Patterson, who were the first investors in their travel agency/sporting events business. Duncan will prematurely lose his hair and get a beer gut, and Eva will wear frumpy hausfrau dresses. John will come around in his huge Crevasse to collect thanks and undeserved credit, his intangible dividend.

Duncan will primarily make his money by booking Becky's travel on her world tours, but this will not stop Duncan, Eva, April, and the rest from speaking venomously about her.

11:13 PM  
Blogger howard said...

qnjones

Duncan will primarily make his money by booking Becky's travel on her world tours, but this will not stop Duncan, Eva, April, and the rest from speaking venomously about her….for choosing her career over raising the child she had with Gerald, who wisely gave up drumming in order to move to Milborough to raise his daughter Sheilagh, and to work in Duncan’s business as a travel agent.

11:22 PM  
Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

howtheduck, qnjones:

Isn't it amazing that the more insanely over the top we make their futures sound, the more it matches what we've already seen? It speaks volumes about how unimaginative Lynn is that the more Mary-Sueish we make the characters, the closer we get to what she has planned for them.

12:50 AM  
Blogger howard said...

dreadedcandiru2,

It speaks volumes about how unimaginative Lynn is that the more Mary-Sueish we make the characters, the closer we get to what she has planned for them.

Lynn Johnston has fairly consistent style of plotting. You won’t believe this, but years ago, in a more innocent age, qnjones and I used to debate whether or not Liz would end up with Paul Wright or Anthony Caine. In retrospect, such debate seems silly now.

As for the career predictions of Duncan and Eva, I can see in my mind Lynn Johnston writing these strips, while at the same time she is writing her book called, “The Lives After the Lines”, and filling in the spots where she talks about Duncan and Eva's future. If this mental image is correct, let’s see how many strips in the next few months have characters talking about their future plans.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Muzition said...

I really like Charles Ives. I've played some of his music.

I studied music in university, and I haven't been able to make a career out of it. I know a lot of people in that situation.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howard, your debate with qnjones wasn't silly--it was optimistic. We all hoped that Lynn could show us she did have talent and originality. But, then she took the predictable route and proved her point once more that she was lucky to have been handed her career and didn't have to work for it.

Also, I think it is tragic the way Lynn has stripped the music away from the strip. There was always grandpa and his harmonica and guitar (which played a huge part in April's life); Liz actually was seen singing upon occassion; Phil was a larger part of the strip; and there were the bands--the Bentwood Rockers and 4Evah. Now? Grandpa is physically unable to make music; the harmonica has been disposed of; Phil was only brought in as a plot device to help April get revenge; Liz is never seen doing anything but chasing Anthony; and April has given up the band.

Music is such a metaphor for happiness and joy; I guess that is all gone from the strip, now.

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I feel like a fool when I remember how naive I was back then. I thought Lynn would not be wasting all that time on Paul and Mtigwaki if Liz wasn't going to marry him. Little did I realize that wasting time is one of Lynn's fortes. Why are we listening to Duncan and Eva obsess about their futures? It's pointless. Yet, here we are.

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too thought that Lynn might allow Liz and Paul to end up together. Not only was he a better character than Anthony and actually in the same part of the country as Liz, but also because I thought the scene where Elly more or less commanded him to seek out her daughter fit Lynn's desire for parental meddling. Because Anthony's only claim to Liz appears to be that her parents approve of him, that would start Paul off on equal footing (and he was later shown to be quite a bit better in other ways). That flash of hope made the sudden snap-back to the inevitability of Lizthony all the more jarring.

debjyn: I hadn't noticed that music had been so thoroughly removed from the strip. You're quite right; it seems as though all sources of joy are being removed from their soul-less, deterministic universe.

9:51 PM  
Blogger howard said...

Muzition

I really like Charles Ives. I've played some of his music.

Likewise. I have a great deal of admiration for Charles Ives’ music. And believe it or not, he was also incredibly successful in the insurance biz too.

I studied music in university, and I haven't been able to make a career out of it. I know a lot of people in that situation.

Unfortunately, I do too. It is a very tough field in which to make a living, and that is one of the reasons I chose not to make a living in it. I wish you the best of luck with it. The people I know who have made a living at it, have not regretted it.

10:02 PM  
Blogger howard said...

debjyn,


Also, I think it is tragic the way Lynn has stripped the music away from the strip.

I agree. The only left is April playing her guitar for a grandfather who can no longer stay awake to enjoy it. It is a pretty good metaphor for this strip and its readers.

10:03 PM  
Blogger howard said...

qnjones,

Yes, I feel like a fool when I remember how naive I was back then.

Ah, the good old days when we used to say, “Lynn couldn’t possibly {fill in the blank} and then she did.

Why are we listening to Duncan and Eva obsess about their futures? It's pointless.

Yes, but gloriously so.

10:03 PM  
Blogger howard said...

paladin


That flash of hope made the sudden snap-back to the inevitability of Lizthony all the more jarring.

I remember the jarring also, every time Liz went from Mtigwaki back to Milborough and re-encountered Anthony. The plot writing was so poor with the Liz / Anthony / Thérèse triangle; and so much better with Liz in Mtigwaki, the writing change itself jarred me.

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home