Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Stories Anthony Told Me

We are now getting to find out all the dirt about Anthony and Thérèse’s marriage in For Better or For Worse, and we are getting it from Elizabeth. What this tells me is that Elizabeth and Anthony have talked about his relationship with Thérèse, and probably where it went wrong. In my dating years, I learned one of the forbidden subjects you must never mention when going out is your relationship with your ex. However, I did have the misfortune to go on dates, where my date wanted to talk about their ex in detail. Those were awful dates, where I usually felt like I should be charging some kind of psychiatrist’s fee after listening to it. My favourite of these stories was the one where my date talked and cried so much telling her story, I could not understand a word she said. I just nodded attentively for about an hour, until I could understand her again.

Since we will probably not get to see Anthony talking to Liz about Thérèse, I can only imagine why the discussion came up. If Liz is serious about wanting a longterm commitment to Anthony, then there will be some things about Thérèse, she will need to know. On the other hand, if the purpose of the conversation was for Anthony and Liz to address their own part in the destruction of Anthony’s marriage to make sure it does not happen in their own, then I can see the merit in the conversation, particularly if it occurred with the help of a licensed therapist. If, however, the purpose of the conversation is to blame the destruction of the marriage entirely on Thérèse, making her a scapegoat for everything, then this is going to be a tedious week, even if there will be loads of material for snarking.

A better person to tell this story would be Anthony’s cousin so-and-so or Anthony’s university friend, who knows the inside story, but without Anthony’s personal bias. Even better would be Thérèse herself. However, the one I would really like is Anthony’s parents, when Anthony takes Liz to meet them, particularly if one of the parents prefers Thérèse.

Already the 3 basic assertions of the story are false:
1. Anthony was crazy about Thérèse. There is not one single strip where Anthony says or thinks he loves Thérèse. The first time we hear about Thérèse in New Years Eve 2002, Anthony is shown to be in love with Elizabeth.
2. Anthony and Thérèse met dancing. The New Years 2004 strips show Anthony and Thérèse’s pitiful dancing, and being shown up by Elizabeth Patterson and Dennis North.
3. Thérèse is elegant and sophisticated. Sorry, “rent-a-baby” during the baby shower her parents throw for her, marked her as crass and vulgar.

My hope is that whatever story we hear next, Lynn Johnston will do a better job of matching them to the Thérèse we have already seen.

8 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

I know, this is such a weak, weak retcon. I don't believe "captivated," and I don't believe their having mad dancing skills. This belies what we've seen in the strip for years.

3:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree!

Anon NYC (aka Anon)

6:10 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Firstly,

Anon NYC, thanks for the initials.

Secondly,

I wonder if Lynn expects to accept this new description of the relationship between Thérèse and Anthony to be the new truth, or is she expecting her readers to be sharp enough to know Elizabeth is telling a story which is close to pure fabrication and that Elizabeth would know that is exactly what it is, even if Anthony was the one who told her this story.

After all, Elizabeth was at the New Years Eve 2004 party, so she knows how Anthony and Thérèse really danced. The conclusion of the 2002 New Years Eve engagement announcement had Liz telling Candace she knew Anthony was still in love with her. The only thing where Elizabeth was not a personal witness was the baby shower; but I feel sure Elly or April Patterson would not have missed the opportunity to tell Elizabeth how tacky it was.

The story could be interesting if Elizabeth is trying to convince Candace to swallow it.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I expect that tomorrow we will see Liz badmouth Therese; it would be more interesting if she doesn’t.

Anon NYC

10:45 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Anon NYC,

I agree. However, as you may remember, the scene I want to see is Liz’s first meeting with Thérèse.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Cedar said...

Even during the New Year's date of 2002, Anthony has to be goaded into saying anything since about Therese. Liz says something like, "She sounds wonderful," and Anthony responses, "Yes, she is."

Plus, the implication always was that Anthony married Therese because he couldn't have Liz. In that case, all that matters is that she was some kind of woman-shaped thing who would put up with his shit.

8:26 PM  
Blogger howard said...

cedar,

Even during the New Year's date of 2002, Anthony has to be goaded into saying anything since about Therese. Liz says something like, "She sounds wonderful," and Anthony responses, "Yes, she is."
Very true.

Plus, the implication always was that Anthony married Therese because he couldn't have Liz.
Possibly more than that, because he specifically tells Liz the reason he is with Thérèse is because she moved in with Eric. It could be some kind of revenge, like what he and Liz used to do with each other in high school.

In that case, all that matters is that she was some kind of woman-shaped thing who would put up with his shit.
Not exactly. Thérèse is a nice-looking woman. Contrast that with Julia of the Shawna-Marie Verano wedding, who was pleasingly plump. Thérèse was competition for Liz, but Julia was not.

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there--I've been reading through your archives and I really like your blog, for the most part. However, I want to disagree about the discussing past relationships during dates (even though this is so late you probably don't care). My current boyfriend and I have talked about our past failed relationships because it's important to us to hear how we've failed, what we've learned, and how we've grown since then.

When I first met him, he was engaged, and after they broke up, it was difficult for me to get past worrying that she would want to get back together with him. His telling me about why they broke up reassured me. I also needed to hear whether he would blame her completely for it or think about it honestly and realistically. We've also both done long-distance before, and we are long-distance now, so it's important that we figure out how to make this work, and that involves realizing past mistakes.

I can definitely see not psychoanalyzing your past on the first date, but I think it has to be addressed eventually.

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home