Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Complete Lynn Johnston Interview

The longer version of the Lynn Johnston interview is here:

http://panelsandpixels.blogspot.com/2007/08/lynn-johnston-part-two.html

Lynn basically says that Elizabeth’s reason for leaving Mtigwaki was really homesickness, instead of my theory that she left to chase after Anthony Caine. If this is true, then she really did not tell that story well. The only homesickness I remember Elizabeth showing was in her pre-Shiimsa days.

On the other hand, I was quite excited to read this part:

Q: That’s interesting that you say that. What didn’t feel right about it for you?

A: Well, if they were to get married it was not right, it was too soon. If they were to separate they had only just started to explore their relationship. The child was a very big question mark and also, what did happen to Anthony’s marriage? What really happened? All of those things I wanted to explore. I haven’t had a chance. I don’t know Anthony.

I have expounded at great length about what I think really happened to Anthony’s marriage, with the meager clues Lynn Johnston has dropped through the years. The possibility of getting the real story should be very interesting, to see how well it matches my theory.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great interview. Thanks so much for the link.

Anon

9:40 PM  
Blogger howard said...

Anon,

You are quite welcome.

11:34 PM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Bleah, I love how she points out that with the age deep freeze, she won't "lose" the young characters to adolescence. This speaks volumes about the strip's position on April!

howtheduck, I hope I'm not being officious, but if you'd like to use hyperlinked text in your blog entries (instead of the raw link), here's what you do (in "compose" mode in Blogger): first you write out the word or phrase you want hyperlinked. For example, "This strip from November 2005." Then use your mouse to highlight the text, click the little "hyperlink" icon, paste in your URL, then click okay. Voila, hyperlinked text. :)

3:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, April. I was wondering how that’s done!

Anon

4:29 AM  
Blogger howard said...

aprilp_katje,

Thanks for the information. I guess the raw link is offensive to the eye.

As for poor April, I think you are right. This must be the reason why she magically changed appearance at age 16. The one I really feel sorry for is poor Robin, who will be eating dirt and tacks for a long time to come.

9:22 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

No offensive to the eye, it's just that it can bleed over into your side links, depending on which browser I'm using. I'd noticed that you hyperlink words/phrases in comments but not in entries on your main page, and I initially assumed this was a preference of yours. But then I thought of the mechanics of composing in Blogger and it occurred to me that you might have thought you had no choice in the matter.

Again, apologies if I was being officious!

I really think Lynn regrets not having frozen the characters around the time Aypo was four or five. She still liked her back then. ;)

10:51 AM  
Blogger howard said...

No apologies are ever necessary from the continuity goddess to me. Thanks again for the hyperlinking info.

As for Lynn and her regrets, I think you are quite right. If Lynn had frozen little Aypo, I would bet that the whole house transition would have been deemed unnecessary.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Cedar said...

I don't buy her explanation of Anthony for a minute. Anthony has been the non-Patterson character with the most storylines (with the exception of maybe Gordon); he's been a part of the strip for over ten years, and one of the few characters who gets a life of his one explored (Yes, Lawrence and simliar characters get mentioned in the monthly letters, or appear occasionally, but nowhere near to the same degree Anthony has been a part of the strip). If Anthony is a poorly defined character, it's not for lack of trying.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cedar,

Elly and John think Anthony is a great catch but many readers don’t agree. Although we have seen Anthony in dozens of strips, he’s been a two dimensional stick figure. For this reason I must agree that he IS poorly defined. I can now see that LJ has been writing about a person she doesn’t really know. I am eager to meet the Anthony who will emerge in the next several months.

Anon

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home