Saturday, May 27, 2006

Liz Takes a Beating Part 2

Again today I had two different reads on the occurrences in the strip. The first was that Liz was incredibly immature. I would like to say that as a 25-year-old school teacher, she should be more mature, but I can remember back to my dating days, when I was in my 20s, and school teachers that I dated who were also in their 20s, and frankly, a lot of them were pretty immature when it came to personal relationships. There was the one was obsessed with marrying only men with blonde hair (I am not blonde and ultimately this woman ended up marrying a man with black hair). There was the one who was so homophopic that she spent the entire date talking about curing them, and alternatively suspecting every, even slightly effeminate man we saw, of being gay. There was the one who believed she had dated her one and only (a guy she had dated for 8 months until she finally drove him so crazy he left the state. The guy moved from Texas to Alabama.), and no other man would be acceptable, so she was determined to marry a man and have a relationship in contract only (Thank God it wasn’t me. The guy she married gave her a few kids, and then she divorced him so fast, it made his head spin.). The list goes on and on. Liz is mild in comparison to some of the lunatic women with whom I went out on dates.

The biggest problem I have with Liz right now, is I don’t believe her. She has mentioned homesickness off-and-on for awhile now, the biggest example being shortly before she adopted Shiimsa. However, the whole pow-wow sequence with Elly beat us over the head until we were silly with the idea that Liz was “home” and Elly had accepted it. Consequently, I don’t believe Liz when she says she is so homesick she has to quit her job in Mtigwaki. I don’t believe Liz when she says she thinks that Paul might follow her to Toronto. This business all started when she found out that Anthony Caine was getting divorced. In my mind, the only reason Liz wants to leave Mtigwaki, is that her primary reason for going there in the first place (i.e. to get away from Anthony and Thérèse) has now disappeared. Now it is time for her to return and make herself as accessible as possible for Anthony. Anthony is her one-and-only. No one else matters to Liz except Anthony. Warren, Paul, even Eric are inconsequential next to this man. Liz is a woman obsessed and no other man will be acceptable to her, no matter how nice they are.

My second read on today’s strip had to do with the role of Vivian. It seemed to me like she was too ready and too eager to lay a smackdown on Liz. I don’t mind that she did, considering it was well-deserved. However, there are a number of good reasons why Liz might not have signed the contract or talked to Paul. Until Liz mentions the idiotic, “Paul likes Toronto” line, then Liz had a chance to really snap back at Vivian for touching on subjects that were none of her business.

As for April’s Real Blog, this was one of those days, where Constable Paul Wright could not make a comment on what happened, so he is not reading these Blog entries, until the subject returns back to something more palatable to him, i.e. not something being discussed which is something he should not know in advance. The other characters took one of the two stands I mentioned before. As for my posting, my in-laws are in town, so I got some early morning, and afternoon nap posts. The most interesting part of the day had nothing to do with me, but rather with the_berserker who posted a long and excellent “Duncan finds his dad at Niagara Falls” story.

Tomorrow’s strip: Just bizarre. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Why would Meredith seek out great grandpa Jim’s dentures to work with clay?

6 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Today's strip is just "Ew," hence the title for today's entry! :)

4:22 AM  
Blogger howard said...

"Ew" for me too. When I was that age, I never would have touched my grandfather's dentures. I remember a friend of my father's popping his out one time and asking me why I couldn't pop mine out too, which left me for years trying to figure how I could do that, until I learned what dentures actually were. But today, we have to imagine that little Merrie just stumbled across them and then replaced them. When my kids were that age, they simply would have left them on the table with the clay.

6:44 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

One of my grandmothers had dentures, and I never would have touched them--not at Merrie's age, not as a grade schooler, not as a teenager, not as an adult, just no, never!

8:07 AM  
Blogger howard said...

One of my favourite denture memories is that after my grandmother passed away, my grandfather changed his dentures from the thin-toothed kind to the thick-toothed kind and it completely changed the way he looked. It was quite astounding. My mother hated those dentures, but she eventually got used to them. I had no desire to touch either kind and I never did.

4:48 PM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

I guess that's why Mae Thomas had the different dentures for different occasions! :)

6:19 PM  
Blogger howard said...

You're right. I did reference my personal granddad history with that Mae Thomas story.

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home