Monday, August 29, 2005

The Return of the Thug

Today, I felt the need to reestablish the thuggish part of Howard Kelpfroth. I realized as I was going through this, that although Howard had his skirmish with Elizabeth and Anthony, he had been taking a licking (pun intended) from almost everybody else. I also portrayed him as being super-nice in the "Garage Opera." There needed to be something to give a hint that Howard is actually a dangerous person. In the event that Howard is incarcerated in the For Better or For Worse comic strip, I want there to be a sense that he has, at some point in his life, done something to actually deserve it.

Today, Howard went into a berserker fury to defend April's old nemesis Kortney Krelbutz from 2 guys that are bigger than he is, and ironically wins the love of the person April likes least in the Foobiverse, while lifting dialogue liberally from the Elizabeth / Anthony / Howard fight scene. This was not the direction I was headed when I started writing this. I had planned Kortney as being a gift from Gordo the gangster to influence Howard. But I goofed when I wrote Gordo's pseudonym Shakleford as a real character and "April" caught me in a continuity error, my second of the day. So, I sacrificed the "Kortney as gift" plot device to the continuity goddess (I think of "April's" poster as being a dainty female, but who knows?) and returned Shakleford back to his pseudonym status.

As it always turns out in such circumstances, I got a better plot device in return. Howard goes on a date with Kortney, where she gets to show a vulnerable side that she was not allowed to have in the For Better or For Worse strip. Plus it allowed me to put Howard in a position, where he can snark on the good Doctor Patterson, who is desperately in need of some snarking. Join us tomorrow in the continuing story of Doctors and Thugs.

4 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

You've definitely opened some interesting plot possibilities with this new development. This might also give mst3k4evr, who has posted as Kortney, something fun to do on the blog. Kortney, evil or just misunderstood? I guess we'll have to wait and see what these characters reveal about themselves.

(I'm not sure how "dainty" I am, but I'm female. :) )

7:49 AM  
Blogger howard said...

I would love it if mst3k4evr would post as Kortney. The character has been taken through a lot by Howard and Gerald posts.

I will imagine a modest and dainty female to be the Continuity Goddess.

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this turn of events with Kortney, but I'm not exactly sure how I can jump in. I read all the comments from the past week and have an idea of what is going on, but mostly because of the way that the characters "type", I'm not exactly sure what Gerald and Duncan disagree on when it comes to the Kortney situation.

[I've also posted something similiar on the Meta blog under the current "Characterization" thread.]

-mst3k4evr

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw your comment at the Meta Blog. You can just ignore my last post. :)

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home