Sunday, August 28, 2005

The Garage Opera

One of the most interesting parts about doing April's Real Blog, is the challenge to keep the internal logic consistent. Everything you write has to match not only what is in the For Better or For Worse strip, but also the other posts by the other April's Real Bloggers. This turned out to be a real challenge in putting together my magnum opus post, the Garage Opera.

When qnjones as Becky proposed the idea of doing opera in her garage, my initial thought was that it would be a Becky / Howard moment monitored by Becky's mother. I was going through my thoughts on the matter on Saturday night (8-27), when qnjones's Mary Worth saga popped on my screen saying that Becky couldn't make it. So then my planned humiliation of Howard at the hands of Becky's mom and the consoling of embarrassed Becky with opera, turned into just a humiliation of Howard. Fortunately, I may have gotten a running gag out of it. Howard will be tongued by every single adult female in Milborough, if I have my way.

No biggy, there's always tomorrow night. Sunday rolled around, and suddenly I find postings that increase the attendance at the "Garage Opera." Marjee and Maynard are posted in as protection for Becky, and April posts that she wants in also. Each post is a rewrite and the text describing the events just gets duller and duller. No offense to Marjee, Maynard, Becky, and April; but they are difficult parody material on this Blog, largely due to the fact that their Blog writers write them so well. So I went to the old fallback, Elly Patterson jokes. I am so ashamed at my lack of originality.

The plus side, is that I got to give a little Howard perspective to the Marjee and Maynard characters and their relationship. The big plus is that Howard finally meets April. When Howard met Becky, it changed the whole tenor of his posts. Something about 14-year-old Becky turned the thug Howard into the kind, overprotective Howard. I am anxious to see what changes will occur with Howard, now that April is in the mix.

5 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

I've posted about this in the "love thread" at the "April Meta-Blog," but wanted to add here that the "Garage Opera" was hilarious. I had to create an explanation as to why Duncan didn't show up (see comments for today), since April had noted that he was on his way over with her. :)

5:38 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Thanks for saving me again. I completely forgot about Duncan still being with April.

8:10 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

No problem. This actually worked out, since it makes sense that after catching Duncan sneaking out, Duncans parents would call Elly. :)

8:52 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

I posted this in the "Characterization" thread at the meta-blog, too, but I thought I should do so here, too, just in case:

Okay, now I'm really confused, because I thought "Shackelford" was a pseudonym for Gordo. . . .

3:03 PM  
Blogger howard said...

I goofed. I completely missed that "Shackelford" was a pseudonym for Gordo. I thought he was a real guy fronting for Gordo. I am feeling stupid now.

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home