Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Husbands Are Like Little Children

In today’s new-run of For Better or For Worse, Steve Nichols’ cookie-giving is the topic of discussion after he’s left. However, what the strip should be called is, “Lynn Johnston trots out all the tired, old husband jokes”:

I make the rules, my husband breaks the rules.
I am raising 2 children -- my son and my husband.
They only write self-help books for raising the little children, not the big children like my husband.


Now if Lynn only threw in a joke about leaving the seat up on the toilet, or how he wants sex all the time, or he doesn’t want to talk about his feelings; we could complete the picture. Sometimes the limited space of the daily strip works to your advantage.

Naturally, Anne doesn’t confront Steve over the matter, and doesn’t take the cookie away from Christopher to enforce her rule. She and Elly just sit back and commiserate over their lowly estate. It is very difficult to sympathize with them.

I think the real question of the strip is: Why is Anne Nichols wearing spats on her feet in Panel 1?

4 Comments:

Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

Naturally, Anne doesn’t confront Steve over the matter, and doesn’t take the cookie away from Christopher to enforce her rule. She and Elly just sit back and commiserate over their lowly estate. It is very difficult to sympathize with them.

More like "impossible"; why the Hell should I waste my sympathy on someone who won't talk about what's bothering her?

3:01 AM  
Blogger howard said...

She does talk about it with Elly, but that's almost worse than not talking about it at all.

5:36 AM  
Blogger FDChief said...

Anne's odd shoes do look like spats, but what's up with Elly and the flip-flops? I thought it was either shoes or sock-feet in Patterworld? Has she ever been shown in flips other than at the beach?

And it IS impossible to sympathize with Anne. You have a problem with your marriage, you deal with it. This isn't junior high. Speak up, work it out, act like an adult for pity's sake.

Oh, wait...

6:14 AM  
Blogger howard said...

FDChief,

Has she ever been shown in flips other than at the beach?

Not that I can tell. The reference to sandals with Elly I could find was in this strip, which was coming back from a Mexican beach.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home