Monday, October 12, 2009

Elly’s Been Demoted: And It’s About Time

Since For Better or For Worse was often taken from the real life of Lynn Johnston, I find it a little strange that young Michael Patterson would be telling Elly Patterson that his teacher draws, prints and reads better than Elly. These should be Lynn Johnston’s strengths. If Lynn’s son, Aaron, criticized her in comparison to his teacher, I doubt that Lynn would take it very well. Did Lynn pick these items because she knew she could outshine any teacher in these areas?

As for my own kids, I experienced a situation similar to this, but not exactly the same. Since my son has Asperger’s Syndrome, there have been a number of occasions where I was called upon to help him with homework at home (i.e. teach him the things he zoned out during in class and missed). He did not like this. Nevertheless, it was a necessary thing to do to keep him up in class. We often would get to a point where my son would be absolutely defiant, and tell me that his teacher at the school taught him something which was the exact opposite of what I was trying to tell him. A lot of times these would be about subjects with which I am so familiar, that I was absolutely sure that I was correct. Then I would have to say, “Son, if the teacher said that, then she is wrong. However, I seriously doubt that she said that.”

These were difficult moments for me, because I remember in my youth, there were moments when I had teachers who did teach me things which were incorrect. You don’t want to undermine the teacher. At the same time, you don’t want your kid to learn the wrong thing. However, considering the very limited attention span of my son, this was never very much of a problem. He was arguing more for the sake of his understanding and interpretation of the lesson, than for the teacher.

In today’s strip, little Michael hits on a different element than just that of education. When my children hit Grade One, I was never demoted. My kids’ teacher was a tall, very beautiful woman, who was fantastic with young kids, and just as nice as she could be. My kids loved her. Even so, I never felt any kind of competiton with her, nor did my wife. We were glad that they had such a great teacher.

I don’t ever remember my kids comparing their teacher to their mother, with the mother coming in an unfavourable light. However, if my kids had a different relationship with their mother, then this might be different story. Why would a kid compare his mother to his Grade One teacher? Why would a kid tell his mother his teacher is better than she is, particularly in areas where the mother believes she is very good? These kinds of statements speak more to the relationship between the mother and son, than to the teacher’s actual skills.

My favourite part of the strip is the final panel where we see Michael Patterson wearing a blanket sleeper with a drop seat. I think the only time I have ever seen those things is in a Dennis the Menace comic strip. I have the feeling that was the only place Lynn Johnston saw one of those things, too.

5 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

I've just started to read the comments on the Go Comics website, but don't think I will make it a habit as it's like a KAN commentary on how each and every strip is like Lynn had a camera in their houses.

Today's crop of responses include:
"I bet the teacher won’t kiss your owie better and make your favorite grub for dinner or dessert."

and

"Or sing you to sleep, or cuddle you when the world gets nasty!"

The trouble is, I can't see Elly doing these things either!

2:15 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Ew. "Grub." They forgot to say "spuds."

3:47 AM  
Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

howard,

I don’t ever remember my kids comparing their teacher to their mother, with the mother coming in an unfavourable light. However, if my kids had a different relationship with their mother, then this might be different story. Why would a kid compare his mother to his Grade One teacher? Why would a kid tell his mother his teacher is better than she is, particularly in areas where the mother believes she is very good? These kinds of statements speak more to the relationship between the mother and son, than to the teacher’s actual skills.

That they do; the Kool-Aid Quaffers on gocomics.com have no idea how awful a person Elly is nor do they seem to realize that she's the avatar of a real-life crabby, arrogant, self-absorbed, high-handed, pig-ignorant and immature moral imbecile.

5:15 AM  
Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

forworse,

The trouble is, I can't see Elly doing these things either!

You're not alone there; she'd be too busy feeling sorry for herself to care about his needs.

5:16 AM  
Blogger howard said...

forworse,

I've just started to read the comments on the Go Comics website, but don't think I will make it a habit as it's like a KAN commentary on how each and every strip is like Lynn had a camera in their houses.

The Go Comics website does include a number of Elly apologists as you have pointed out in your examples. Even the strip, where Elly said she didn’t have time to read because of her kids, had a number of comments from persons who said that they, like Elly, sacrificed everything for their kids, and had given up reading things they liked while they had children. There are some whacky parents out there, and what Go Comics reminds me is that no matter how over-the-top Elly may seem in her style of parenting, there are people out there who do what she does and like her for doing it also.

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home