Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cathy Called and Wants Her Joke Back

The difference between today’s reprint of For Better or For Worse and the standard Cathy comic strip is the presence of little Lizzie instead of a saleswoman and the use of the word, “Aack!!” I have the impression that Lynn Lake, Manitoba, where Lynn Johnston was living when she originally produced this strip was not a hotbed of swim suits and swimming. I expect most adulterers or swingers prefer not to wear clothes of any sort. It makes this choice of Elly in swimwear for a strip topic almost assuredly lifted from some other source material and Lynn has stolen from Cathy before. Just to let people know, when you suck in your stomach to look thin, you don’t have to hold your breath.

8 Comments:

Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

howard,

Just to let people know, when you suck in your stomach to look thin, you don’t have to hold your breath.

I doubt that Lynn knows this; she's kinda skinny and probably never really ever had to do that. IMO, she came up with the breathe-in to look thin routine from watching Bugs Bunny cartoons.

2:43 AM  
Blogger howard said...

dreadedcandiru2,

Certainly at the time this strip was written, Lynn Johnston was very thin, if her old 1980 CBC interview is any indication. It is a testimony to her poor self-esteem that she considered herself to be fat at that time.

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least if she was gonna steal from Cathy, she should have done it right. No woman would try on just ONE swimsuit in ONE style. Cathy overdoes is, with two dozen or so, but that's exaggeration for the sake of humor and also within the realm of possibility.

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I'm not a woman then. I know exactly what I want in a swimsuit and I order it out of a catalog. I never try them on.

Where do I hand in my boobs and my extra X chromosome?

1:55 PM  
Blogger howard said...

clio-1,

There may have been only one swimsuit style frumpy enough for Elly. I will agree that most times when Lynn copies another strip, the other strip did the joke better.

1:56 PM  
Blogger howard said...

qnjones,

Where do I hand in my boobs and my extra X chromosome?

I believe they are taking them at any majour Lynn Lake, Manitoba department store.

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shopping for a swimsuit in a store and ordering one in a catalog are two very different things. When I order swimsuits in a catalog, I just pick one in my size as well, because I trust the catalog I order from. When I go to a store to try on clothing I do not ever take one thing, in one size, into the dressing room, and I have never known any woman to do so. Elly's not ordering from a catalog, she's shopping in a store, and she's doing it wrong.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay then. 99% of the women I know are doing it wrong, and their gender is apparently in question. ;)

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home