Thursday, May 08, 2008

Dr. John (Denver) Patterson

As often as Lynn Johnston has praised country music in For Better or For Worse, I cannot say I am too surprised that John Patterson is singing John Denver in today’s For Better or For Worse as a means to checking his patient’s sedation.

I remember John Denver well. I did not know him personally, but when I was a very young lad, his song Grandma’s Feather Bed was well-liked among my age set, particularly the part about the “Gal down the road.” Later on, when I got to go to an actual John Denver concert, I remember getting in the concert early, because one of my friends had a handicapped sister (thanks to a terrible car accident), and John Denver was known for reserving seats near the front of the audience for handicapped people who attended his concerts. Not only that, but he would usually make it a point to interact with them. I liked that about him. He was also in a TV special with the Muppets, which kept his cool factor high with me.

As for this strip itself, you can tell that Lynn Johnston is just making random stuff up to be funny. It doesn’t even make sense. I cannot imagine any dentist looking at this strip and saying, “Lynn must have a camera in my dental examination room.”

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope. She wasn't trying to do that sort of thing back in the gag-a-day era. Things and people were more cartoony before 1982. After that, of course, John ceased being the goofball dentist so he could become the sourball dentist.

3:13 AM  
Blogger howard said...

dreadedcandiru2,

John ceased being the goofball dentist so he could become the sourball dentist.

True enough. When is the last time we have seen John Patterson sing for the fun of it?

6:35 AM  
Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

howard:

When was the last time we saw John sing for the enjoyment of it?

Roughly the same time Elly was on Liz's case for forgetting where she kept her eyeglasses.

7:11 AM  
Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home