Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Elizabeth Patterson Explained

In today’s For Better or For Worse, I was quite shocked to see Elizabeth Patterson espouse the idea of marriage for the reasons of Tradition and “I’d do it for my mom.” Elly Patterson has been pushing Anthony Caine on Elizabeth forever, including when Anthony was married and had a child, so we know she has no scruples when it comes to him. However, I never thought that Elizabeth Patterson, little Miss:

The partner I'm looking for is truly meant for me. He's someone who shares my beliefs, my goals and my commitments. He's someone sincere, who wants a long lasting relationship with all its ups and downs and is willing to "work things out".

would ever say she would accept a marriage ceremony for her mom’s sake. I feel fairly certain, given the amount of time left before September, that Elizabeth and Anthony will have a wedding ceremony, but it will be small and intimate and very fast. Candace and Elizabeth have been mocking Shawna-Marie’s wedding all week, and this has to be the setup to say, “Look! Elizabeth is so practical and yet so traditional. She has a wedding, but she spends next-to-no time preparing for it. Elizabeth is my hero.” She’s the opposite of Shawna-Marie, whose wedding is bound to end up with some disaster, for no other reason than to draw the contrast for Liz and explain the readers who have been waiting for 10 years for Elizabeth to marry Anthony, why it is not going to be a big to-do, but instead a wedding more like Mike and Deanna’s first wedding.

This also will explain why Elizabeth will end up with Anthony, to whom she has spoken only a few times a year ever since she graduated high school in 1999, and to take up being a mother to Francie, to whom I have never seen Elizabeth speak at all. If it weren’t for the few years of high school dating, Anthony and Liz have all the feel of an arranged marriage. Saying she would do it for tradition and for her mom, cements the idea, in my mind. If that weren’t enough, in her latest monthly letter Liz says:

I've been thinking...Anthony could be that someone. We've drifted together and apart ever since high school. I wonder if I'll ever get the chance to find out what we'd be like together now.

4 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

That line about doing it for her mom just struck me as bizarre and so, so sad. Now that Katie's in the hive, I wonder if this is a subliminal message to her?

3:38 AM  
Blogger howard said...

A message to Katie is the only way it would make sense, and it certainly wouldn't be the first time Lynn tried to send Katie a message through her comic strip. When she was very young, I am sure she got lots of parenting by strip proxy.

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting... I understood the line about doing it for her mom as tongue-in-cheek. Like most young women, I think Liz would love to have a fancy wedding but she would not admit that to Candace.

6:25 PM  
Blogger howard said...

Anonymous,

I am afraid I must disagree. During the Mike and Deanna wedding #2, Lynn Johnston went to great lengths (weeks and weeks of strips) to point out the evils of fancy weddings, which Mike and Deanna only did at the insistence of Deanna's over-the-top, overbearing mother.

I would be very surprised if Liz wants a fancy wedding after Mike and Deanna's fancy wedding, and how Liz has been making fun of Shawna-Marie's wedding for the last week. However, I will grant you that Liz may want to wear a white, flouncy dress. Even in the Deanna / Mike wedding #2, Deanna wanted a nice dress.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home