Monday, January 25, 2010

Filling in the Dialogue

In today’s reprint of For Better or For Worse originally published on February 9, 1981, we see Elly’s side of her conversation with Connie after the events from yesterday. I can just imagine Connie’s side of it:

Connie: I went to Phil’s apartment, knocked on the door, and there was a girl there. She said, “’Allo?” and I got confused. Was she saying, “Aloe?” and she wanted to know if I wanted some skin cream? Or was she saying, “A low” like I was not the high point of her day? Then I realized she didn’t know how to speak French, and she was used to talking French on a telephone. Who is she, Elly? Has Phil been sleeping around on me with some girl who can’t speak French?

Elly: Connie, I don’t know who the girl is!

Connie: Liar! You don’t want me to be with Phil. Instead of all that “Phil is going to break your heart, Connie”, maybe you should have said, “He’s living with a girl, Connie.” It would have saved me a trip, Elly. I could have just mailed the stinking pipe. {Sob} What am I saying? Sorry, El. I know you can’t keep a secret. If Phil had a girlfriend, you would have told me. What’s important is that if you didn’t know about her, then maybe Phil doesn’t know about her either.

Elly: Look, just go on down to the club and take in a show.

Connie: Why did I suddenly get the feeling you were going to tell me to take in a show with my cousin? That’s odd. So, El. Do you know what Phil likes in bed? If I am going to get him away from this other woman, I might have to bring out my naughty side. When I was sleeping with Pablo, he really liked it when I…

Elly: Connie, this is your problem and I really don’t want to get involved!

Connie: Oh sorry, El. I forgot all about you and the no-sex thing you have going. I’ll do just what you say and go see Phil’s show tonight. And if he plays his cards right, he could get lucky.

Elly: Famous words. Usually spoken when you’re up to your neck in someone else’s business.

7 Comments:

Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

I gotta admit that adding Connie's dialog to the strip would have made it funnier. So would an indication that Connie went to the wrong house.

2:55 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Why did I suddenly get the feeling you were going to tell me to take in a show with my cousin?

::snerk::

Notice how Lynn distributed the remaining dialogue to fill up that speech bubble. I guess when Phil gives her the "brush off," he'll offer to drop her off at her hotel instead of at her cousin's place.

3:33 AM  
Blogger howard said...

DreadedCandiru2,

I gotta admit that adding Connie's dialog to the strip would have made it funnier. So would an indication that Connie went to the wrong house.

The question that comes to my mind is whether Lynn Johnston does or does not realize she did not reprint the strip where Elly gives Connie the address of Phil’s apartment?

5:42 AM  
Blogger howard said...

aprilp_katje,

I guess when Phil gives her the "brush off," he'll offer to drop her off at her hotel instead of at her cousin's place.

That won’t seem as much of a brush-off though. If Connie thinks Phil has a girl at home, taking her to her hotel room may suggest he is interested.

5:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After the cruel, chilly, judgmental, dismissive way Elly treated both Connie and Phil over the holidays in the new-ruins, the fact that Connie keeps returning to ELLY for emotional support and comfort becomes truly bizarre.

Lynn really does think it's normal for a woman to have only one or two friends in all the world, doesn't she? :(

8:13 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Anonymous,

After the cruel, chilly, judgmental, dismissive way Elly treated both Connie and Phil over the holidays in the new-ruins, the fact that Connie keeps returning to ELLY for emotional support and comfort becomes truly bizarre.

The strange part about it is that after Elly's decidedly negative outlook towards Connie and Phil, she would even recommend Connie go to Phil's show.

Lynn really does think it's normal for a woman to have only one or two friends in all the world, doesn't she? :(

It looks that way. In Connie's case, it appears she only has one friend, since we don't exactly see her spending time with Anne Nichols.

8:53 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

That won’t seem as much of a brush-off though. If Connie thinks Phil has a girl at home, taking her to her hotel room may suggest he is interested.

That's what Lynn gets for insisting on excising that cousin!

The question that comes to my mind is whether Lynn Johnston does or does not realize she did not reprint the strip where Elly gives Connie the address of Phil’s apartment?

An excellent question--especially since I imagine that when she first did this arc, Lynn forgot she hadn't shown the "girl" at Phil's apartment.

4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home